Suggest an equivalent to Paint Shop Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peewiglet, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Peewiglet macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've just moved to Mac from PC, and I'm not sure what photo editing proggy I should buy that would be roughly equivalent to Paint Shop Pro. I mainly want to be able to edit pics for upload to the net. I'd like it to be fairly easy to use, because I tend to use PSP a lot for a couple of weeks, and then not at all for several months, and I'm hoping I won't forget all sorts of complex things in the meantime.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

2. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

3. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm going to side with JasonH42. Pixelmator is probably the easiest transition from PSP.

Photoshop Elements or full blown Photoshop after that.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, it's quite helpful, as it can show you Mac alternatives to Windows apps, including Pixelmator, Photoshop Elements, Photoshop and GIMP. Instead of giving just one recommendation, you can find several alternatives.

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I use Photoline (www.pl32.com) for most of my work.

I've also used Pixelmater (nice tool) Photoshop (expensive) Gimp (Very quirky but powerful - but also free) Photoshop Elements (A bit expensive, best bet if you want it is to buy something with it bundled [graphics pad or part of the Roxio's Toast Titanium bundle - which, if you have an earlier version of Toast is a great update bundle])

Aperture seems decent and is reasonably priced at the App Store.

Personally, I started with GIMP, decided what I really needed in a tool (mainly curves and layers) and went from there to one with a more Mac like interface.

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

On the contrary, it is a very helpful link. Alternativeto.net is a great website that lets you find similar software. When you search for "paint shop pro" there, you'll find many suggestions given here.

to the OP
    Pixelmator (I'm using it and it's awesome; $30 in the Mac App store)
    GIMP (Free)
    Adobe Photoshop (the standard among professionals)

8. WiBu macrumors member

My vote goes to Pixelmator, $30 on the Mac App Store and a free upgrade to 2.0 (which looks to have some good/useful features added) when it comes out.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pixelmator is a great solution
    I use it almost exclusively now