Suggest apps: checking and notes/planner

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by scooterguitar, Feb 20, 2011.

1. scooterguitar, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

scooterguitar macrumors regular

So, trying to streamline my purchases and trial and errors with my new iPhone's app store. Doing great so far, but am undecided on the following.

I need a very basic and easy to enter data checkbook. Don't need charts, etc...basically just a register type account to enter balances, withdrawels, easy and quick is what are important to me for this one. NO in-depth steps or functions, no linking to online accounts, etc.

I've researched various notes, planners, etc. I really don't need that much of planning.
    a. quick to get to notes for quick viewing reminders...usually use this sort of thing to add something quick when going to store to not forget.

b. I'd like the option of being able to password protect files so I can store simple passwords for online accounts, nothing too important or deep security needed...

c. Integrate with calendar for simple appointments or reminders (dog to vet, remind me to pay a certain bill, Dr. appt, etc) again, nothing to tedious. I'll have maybe 2-10 reminders/calendar events a week.

I have looked at and still contemplating the apps: Due, 2Do, and Awesome Note. I don't mind paying for an app, just want it to be the right one. So far only disappointed with one purchased app at $10. Found a better one cheaper later on.

2. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't advise on 1, but for 2, I'd recommend Remember The Milk. The app is free, but you need a "pro" subscription ($25/yr) to get auto-syncing and push notifications. There's a heap of other advantages to the pro account like outlook syncing, which might fit in with your calendar integration wish (if that's what you use). I think you can setup SMS reminders with a free account though. You can always try it out and upgrade if you like it and feel the cost justification for the pro features. I've been using RTM (not just on iPhone) for a couple of years now and it's made a massive difference to me.

3. odelay macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually, re 1, I just remembered trying Spendly a while back (I didn't really have a need for it in the end), and although it's far from new, it may still be what you're looking for, nothing fancy, just simple expense entry and tracking. And it's currently free which always helps :)

4. scooterguitar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, the Spendly looks promising, but the latest reviews speak of crashes as it handles more info.
    Most finance/checking seem to have links to online backups, cloud, etc...I don't really need that. Quick in, quick out is what I want.

Hmm, Due or Awesome Note are my contenders till:rolleyes: