Suggest good headphones under ~$110

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by axforts, Dec 29, 2008.

1. axforts macrumors member

Hey everybody,

Ive been considering the new Apple In Ear Headphones, but as we all know, the volume function of the remote is not supported by the iPhone 3G. I have a sort of psychological problem paying full price for a product thats crippled so Im wondering of any alternative to those earbuds that will sound as good or better in the general price range that they are in.

I need the headphones to support:
    -A mic
    -Ability to answer/end call from the headphones

Id Like them to(but not absolutely necessary)
    -Pause/Play/Previous/Next

I dont care about the volume control, but I feel that if Im paying $80 for headphones, Id rather get different headphones for $80 where the money is going towards better audio than an unusable feature.

Thank you,
    Alex

2. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

I actually just got a pair of the new Apple In-Ear Headphones for my 3g for Christmas and I love em! The original ones that were included weren't cutting it and I was skeptical about these, but they have a comfortable fit and most importantly they sound great (not to mention they have the signature Apple style :apple:)! I understand your rationale behind the volume control functions- it's possible that this will be fixed with a future update. It really doesn't bother me that much because I can use them with my iPod nano when I'm working out and have full use of the volume control if I need it (although I don't seem to use it that much anyway)...also, for me it's important to have a built in mic and remote and I haven't seen many other brands offer these features. Oh, did I mention that they come with a cool little case that you can use to store them in when you're traveling or on the go? Overall, I would say that if you can live without the volume functions (which weren't even on the stock iPhone buds) then these are the best headphones for your money (as far as comfort, style, and sound).

3. axforts thread starter macrumors member

Reassuring

Well thats very reassuring then. Im fairly sure that the headphones issue can be fixed via software, but the question is will Apple or perhaps a third party(cough jailbroken fix cough) fix the functionality issue, is the real question.

Anybody else have any recommendations before I make the purchase?

4. bmpwe macrumors member

I'm very happy with the in-ear headphones from Apple.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TR530VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTgxMTAzMQ

Sennheiser, imo, makes some of the best audio products on the planet. I have an older set of big Senn. headphones that I love, and got got my MM50's today - impressed. Not perfect, but a good product nonetheless. And the more I listen to them, the more I like them. :)

Fully iPhone compatible, too, which is a nice bonus.

6. pisces03x macrumors regular

Nope, the current iPhone hardware does not have the required headphone connector to accept this type of change (volume).
    I'm certain though that at Macworld an updated iPhone which has this included hardware will be announced.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Would you care to explain what hardware is missing on the iPhone?

Both the standard iPhone 3G ear buds and Apple In-Ear headphones have the same exact plug. I know because I have both in front of me.

Here are the pin-outs for the iPhone standard (no volume control) ear phones:

Tip (1) - Right
    Ring (2) - Left
    Ring (3) - Ground
    Sleeve (4) - Microphone

Clicking the button shorts Microphone to Ground. The iPhone must support all four connections.

Since the new Apple In-Ear Headphones work in the iPhone and support the same functions, the pin-outs must be the same. There are no extra contacts on the Apple In-Ear Headphone connector and no missing connectors on the iPhone since it must support all four.

It's quite possible that the iPhone does not have the hardware to deal with reading whatever signal changes occur when pressing the volume up and down buttons on the Apple In-Ear Headphones. But, the iPhone connector has all the appropriate physical contacts to support the volume feature.

S-

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I use the Vmoda Vibe Duo's for my everyday listening purposes, they have the mic and the call answer/end button that can also be used for pause, skip and to skip backwards when listening to music.

I've had at least one friend that has owned the Shure's but taken them back to get the Vmoda's instead as they didn't like the bass in the Shure's.

10. axforts thread starter macrumors member

When people say this, it makes me think they have no idea what they are talking about. Both the connector on the new in ear headphones, and the original iphone headset have the same Four connectors.

The sennheisers Ive always heard good things about, the main thing thats preventing me from pulling the trigger on those, is the inability to pause, skip, and go previous. I know that seems like a trivial thing, but its a feature I use often and would miss it.

The Vmoda vibe duos Ive also heard great things about. Im really stuck between those and the in ear headphones. Both appear to be great products. How do they compare to each other?

11. pisces03x macrumors regular

The iPhone doesn't know how to change volume with its headphone jack. It was never built this way.

It knows how to use a microphone through a headphone jack because it was built in a way so that the included headphones work. Apple did not expect at that time to release a product which can change volume the same way.

12. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

pisces03x,

In other words, when you said "the current iPhone hardware does not have the required headphone connector", you were blowing smoke. The iPhone has the required headphone connector.

There are two possibilities why the volume controls don't work and neither one has anything to do with the connector:

1. The iPhone does not have the necessary circuitry to read the signal changes made when the volume controls are pressed.

2. The firmware and software are not currently programmed to read the signal changes made when the volume controls are pressed.

I have no idea which it is, but I do know it's not the connector...

S-

13. pisces03x macrumors regular

This doesn't mean that the iPhone is capable of processing volume changes. Sure, it could be the iPhone's firmware, but it makes more sense that it's a hardware issue - one would think that Apple would have addressed this issue in their most recent update to the iPhone OS.

Sorry if you misunderstood what I said first, and (rereading this now) it seems that I was half asleep when I was typing - it was 3 am, don't blame me ;)

14. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

pisces03x,

Did you read what I wrote? I never said the iPhone was capable of processing volume changes. I just said the reason it is not the physical connector.

I didn't misunderstand anything. You misspoke.....

S-

15. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

16. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

jbromer,

I tried the NuForce NE-7M's before I got the new Apple In-Ear (AIE) headphones. I could never get satisfactory bass with them. I tried all the ear tips (buds) they provided.

I think the AIE have better sounding mid range and highs. Also the AIE has a larger and more three dimensional sound stage. For my ears, anyway, the AIE are the much better choice.

S-

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Bought the Bose In-Ear Headphones and they were on sale for $79 plus tax. Just make sure you put the correct size bud attachments for your ears...:cool:

18. bielen macrumors regular

How well do the new Apple in-hear headphones block conversation? Any other recommendations for blocking conversation?

19. Sebap3 macrumors newbie

They block about 70% of the conversation and noises around you. I hear that etymotic hf2 and UE super.fi earphones block more noises but are more than double the price of the apple earphones.

20. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I would think that noise blocking was a function of the ear pieces used, not the headphone itself. You can always get third-party foam ear pieces that block more noise.

S-

21. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

:rolleyes: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/TR530VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1MA&mco=MTgxMTAzMQ

These headphones have the Mic and play/pause/skip/answer support. I just got them, they work perfectly.

22. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

If you want more bass then I'd recommend the Skullcandy FMJ for iPhone. Made of metal and good wire (covered in a smooth plastic). Loads of bass and good ear tips, also one of the biggest drivers for an in ear headphone (11mm). It sounds good, with it mostly dealing with the bass and treble notes. Brings the bass to the center of what your listening to.

I have tried the new apple in ear headphones, compared to the Skullcandy, they are more clinical and neutral, very suited for acoustic listening, whereas the Skullcandy is mainly full of bass, and the v-modas I think are a very distinct warm sound.

23. axforts thread starter macrumors member

Ordered em

I went head and ordered them. I decided I dont really care enough about the volume control issue. hopefully it can be fixed, but whatever. I got to hear them yesterday and they blew me away. Very nice. Got my fedex tracking number. very surprised to see them shipped directly from the factory in China :> fresh off the press as we like to say :apple:

be here on the 6th :) thanks everyone for ur input

24. strikingviking macrumors member

I need a set primarily to use while riding a motorcycle wearing a helmet so reducing external noises and a good mic are important. Any suggestions?