Suggest Me a External Drive for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anirban, May 14, 2008.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello all!

I own a MBP, and I am finally going to upgrade to Leopard. I am thinking of having a dedicated hard drive for Time Machine. So can anyone please suggest me a cheap and large capacity hard drive that can be used to TM, something like plug and forget kind of deal?

Thanks a lot!

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

G-Tech's drives are great - they've got the 500GB, 750GB and 1TB G-Drive Q, but if you wanted something specifically portable, the G-Drive mini is great. Both of these have USB2, FireWire 400 & 800 and the G-Drive Q has an eSATA port. They're not cheap though... more sensibly priced options and available everywhere are the Western Digital Passport drives, though they're only USB2, but it won't matter too much unless you're going to be dealing with oodles of data. Formac Disk Mini drives are good too, it just depends whether you want a portable or desktop drive. :)

Edit: Just remembered that Western Digital do a desktop range of external drives called the MyBook, and some of them have FireWire. Again, cheap and easy to find.

3. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

+1 for G-Tech. A bit spendy, but my data is worth it! ;)
    Morod

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

besides the look, what advantages does the Gtech really have?

it seams AWFUlly pricey..

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Seagate firewire. I have 2 - a 300GB and a 400GB - and they're fast, quiet and reliable.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing