Suggest me best free app for navigation, battery

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by CoolArchTek, Nov 3, 2011.

1. CoolArchTek macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can anyone suggest me the best 'FREE' app for Navigation (turn-by-turn, street names etc)?

Also, I see lot of free apps for battery.. are those really useful? in what way?

Thanks

2. gillybean macrumors 6502a

The best completely free app for turn-by-turn is Waze.

3. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

4. vigu360 macrumors member

vigu360

Check this for free battery app!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1268736

5. CoolArchTek thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw Waze demo, but for some reason I didn't like that.. I maybe wrong..

Any other suggestions?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

That you do.

While waze is nice, the routing is pretty bad in comparision to say navigon. I am talking about for a 60 mile drive in navigon, I can get a difference of over 10 miles easy in waze and more than 30 min add on time

7. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I don't have Navigon (seems so expensive! - $60.00 for the app + $20 for traffic + $10 for 3-d view + $5 for speed cams + $8 for zagat = $103 for a phone app?!) but the routing in Waze has been quite good for me. It's consistently able to find good routes for me to avoid bad traffic.

My primary complaints about Waze would be that it's missing a lot of highway exit numbers here, and that on the rare occasion I've gotten "routing server" errors.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need all the add-ons and Navigon does go on sale from time to time.

9. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Well I imagine I'd at least need traffic (+$20) to make it comparable to Waze, which makes it $80 already. How much is it when it's on sale?

Plus, I just looked at the latest App store reviews where half the latest reviews are complaining about problems using it with the 4S.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

First of all, you can save $10 by opting out of Canadian map (of course, if you need Canada, get both).

As for the price, AppShopper shows pricing all over the place, bottoming out at $29.99 for North America (US + Canada) version in February (which is when I made the purchase). In-app options were on sale for 25% off as well (I purchased traffic at $14.99).

Keep in mind that NAVIGON Will introducing new 2.0 version with all new UI in few weeks, which will be a free upgrade. It will also sport in-app purchase for map management feature that gives you frequent map updates and ability to delete unneeded map regions (with ability to re-download for free).