Price Advice Suggest me price for MBP 15 2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Black.Infinity, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Hi all,

I need some advice from you guys on determining how much my mac is valued at roughly in the used market at the moment.

15" Early 2011' Macbook Pro :apple:
    Processor 2.00 GHz Intel Quad Core i7
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB GDDR5 and Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)
    500GB 4500-rpm hard drive

Battery at 26 Cycles
    Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
    Applecare expires on 25/Feb/2012
    Bought it last year on release date

1999 + %13 TAX = 259.87
    Bought from apple online store Canada

Thanksss

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of equivalent models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge.

3. jg900ss macrumors newbie

jg900ss

Example price....

....Apple is selling this exact machine, occasionally available on the REFURBISHED section of the Apple Store, for $1489. Same features. The price ultimately may vary due to sales tax and shipping location, but this is what you can start with as you search other sources like eBay, MacMall, etc.
    I just purchase this machine from the store through the REFURBISHED option (lower left corner of the store screen) and paid that amount. It is not always available, but when it does come into inventory, it disappears fast. I suspect it is an attractive entry model for the quad-core Mac notebook seeker.

Hope that helps.

4. Black.Infinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Thanks

I am hoping to get a good price cuz i am planing to get a Mac air 13 256gb

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To some extent, comparing refurbished pricing and used pricing is apples and oranges. Unlike a used Mac, a refurbished Mac has been thoroughly examined and tested by Apple and any defective parts have been replaced. It also comes with a new 1-year warranty and qualifies for AppleCare coverage. This justifies a higher price than one can reasonably expect when selling a used model.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Not necessarily.

I'd expect a machine bought new to sell for roughly what a refurbished model of the same type does, depending on how much of the warranty is remaining. Also, note that a machine still under Apple's original warranty will also qualify for Applecare coverage.

Also, with refurbished models, most US purchasers will have to pay sales tax and wait for shipping. (NB - while most states do require the purchaser to pay sales tax on private transactions, as a practical matter very few people do, and it is not enforced due to a variety of problems in trying to enforce such a law).

When I've sold used but still current Macs, I generally sell them for at least what the refurbished price is, if not slightly more. Of course, the ones I've sold have been in perfect condition, and are complete with box, etc.

In the US, I'd expect you to get about $1400 - the reason being that a brand new 2.2 i7 is available for $1699, and the key is to price yours sufficiently below a new model to make it attractive to someone. When the price difference from a 2.0 quad to a new 2.2 quad is only $200 or so, most people will opt for the brand new machine. Wouldn't you?

7. paulrbeers, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed. I've bought a few macs for family used (or at least helped them barter for used machines) and I always tell them to take the refurbed price and hack off about 20% for a starting price (they can negotiate from there). So that almost $1500 refurbed now becomes about $1200. I tell them to use the fact that Apple gives them a full 1 year warranty, brand new battery, and a case that is in perfect shape when bartering. Maybe I'm cheap and undercutting sellers, but frankly I would rather not deal with someone else's "mistakes" unless I can get it for a good price.

Edit: Also do remember, that things like hi-res displays may be important to you, but Joe Average doesn't understand them. They are just going to compare a 2011 MBP 2.0ghz Base to your 2011 MBP 2.0ghz Base + hi-res display and most likely choose whichever is cheaper.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would pay a premium for a refurb model, because I'd have more assurance that I was getting what I was paying for, without the potential for hidden "gotchas", as could be the case when buying from an individual. From an individual, no matter how great the apparent condition, I could be buying a stolen or water-damaged model, which even a new warranty wouldn't protect me from. That's not a concern with refurb models, since Apple historically stands behind what they sell. For this reason, I always buy new or refurb Macs. I never buy used computers from individuals, because I don't want to deal the possibility of problems that may not be covered.

Of course, when it comes to pricing a used Mac for sale, it's the seller's discretion, so charge whatever you like.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Well, in either case, meeting at an Apple store and having Apple run diagnostics protects you from both. If you're really worried about it having been stolen, contact your local police department with the serial number and ask them to run it through NCIC.

If someone's not willing to meet at an Apple store and to have Apple verify the machine, it's not worth buying. That's what I do when I've bought and sold Macs in the past and have never had a problem.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

And with all those hoops, is exactly why I wouldn't buy a used one unless it is significantly below Refurbed prices. Seriously, that's a lot of my time making sure that my computer is okay...

11. jg900ss macrumors newbie

jg900ss

Agreed on the REFURBS

I agree with thoughts echoed above, that the APPLE REFURBs are actually a great buy. They have been returned to Apple for whatever reason, are checked out (sometimes NEW machines don't get such a check) and they are sold with the identical warranty of the new machines, AT A LOWER PRICE. And, of course, they are eligible for Applecare. I have many Apple products but ALL my laptops over the years were bought REFURBed, and I put AppleCare on them due to the demands of travel and wear.....just in case. Luckily, I have never had to use AppleCare. But there will be a day....

My guess? You will probably be successful in selling it fast at the $1200 price recommended by another poster. That would be where I would start.

Good luck.