Price Advice Suggested reselling price for my iMac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mitchn123, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mitchn123 macrumors newbie

Hey guys
    I'm looking to sell my imac 20" aluminum in order to get a macbook pro for on-the-go video editing. I was wondering if you could let me know what a good starting asking price for my computer would be. Here's the specs:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B00

It has a 700gb hd and parallels with windows xp.

I was thinking of starting at $800. Any suggestions? any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502

3. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

My brother had a 24" iMac
    - 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
    - 4GB RAM
    - 500GB HDD
    - Newly replaced screen from Apple
    - Box and all original content

For $850 on Craigslist in Los Angeles and no one wanted.

Hope that you gives you an idea, good luck.

4. Sandman1969, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

You can get a ballpark figure here
    http://www.mac2sell.net/

Using your specs the site says $610. I am not sure if parallels and xp would adds much to it.
    But like others said check auction sites and look for comparable systems

5. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

no not that much

that is a very old computer now probably 4 years old or 3 the new ones are 12oo brand new and newer generation with higher res and bigger screen much better processors graphics etc

i would ask 600 on craigslist and you [probably will get some attention then some one will probably bid up on that and maybe get 700 good luck

6. mitchn123 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Those started around $1200 retail when they came out. Even if the display is in good shape it's not one of the desirable models overall. I don't think you'll get over $500-600 (you can ask more but I don't think it's worth over $500 unless it's really lightly used, wear is more apparent on imacs due to the display being built in), but even that isn't bad at all on a four year old computer model. It's going to partially depend on the condition of the display. This was a TN panel model if I'm not mistaken. You can't honestly expect a four year old $1200 computer to still go for most of its original value, especially given the degradation in display performance from use.

Edit: sorry if that sounds harsh. The 24" models definitely go for a bit more if they're in good shape as they have much nicer displays and better hardware options. You must consider that even my figure isn't bad for the age of it, but the new ones are considerably better in cpu, gpu, ram capacity, display type, etc. and Apple has turned slightly more aggressive on refurb pricing.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I sold the 20" iMac in my signature with an external 1TB HDD (NIB) and the HP 20" monitor to go with it for $800.

The RAM was upgraded to 4Gb but the internal HDD was still the stock 250Gb HDD.

It also had a year left of applecare.

9. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

the keyt word is sold not selling when did u sell it last year a few months ago the longer u hold them the more value goes down

10. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...Sept 2011...to be exact.