Suggested security for my new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maclearning, Mar 9, 2009.

1. maclearning macrumors member

Should I get the Norton internet security for Mac to use in my brand new (not delivered yet) iMac? I was told by the Apple Store sales guy that its not necessary.

Coming from a purely Windoze background, I have a well founded paranoia of my internet security. Is it worth the $79 for piece of mind, or is my Windows experience clouding my judgement regarding this issue?

My ISP is Charter Security, and they have a free Security Suite (from F Secure). Is this a workable option? From what I've read online, it doesn't even protect a Mac...

Thanks in advance.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No, no, and again, no. Do not waste your money on anything "Norton".

Use a strong password, and keep your Mac behind a NAT (probably your router already has it), and you'll be good to go in 99% of the cases.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No. You don't need anything.

Norton does more harm than good anyway, as it uses most of your resources.

4. maclearning thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Y'all

Thanks for talking me down...Too much caffeine and A rich Windows history...

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

hey,

just in case you didn't know; I do want to mention to you that , although your mac isn't affected by virusus , you still can trasport them to other windows pc's. for example an email that contains a virus won't harm your mac, if it is a windows virus , but it will harm the windows pc you send it to. so point being; if you use ur mac at work, or at another en environment with alot of windows pc's.

sam

EDIT:I see you were just talking about internet security, so I know it was off topic, sorry. still, gonna leave it here anyway incase you would find it interesting.