Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
I just installed Tidy Service. The Read Me file mentions that you can make a .conf file to customize the settings. I am not very experience with Tidy. Are it's default setting fine, or are there some custom settings anyone can recommend?

I know I should be coding properly in the first place, but tools like this help me with my learning.

Thanks guys.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
I never used it either, but maybe I wish I had when I was learning as it seems pretty cool. Of course coding without it, validating and researching/fixing errors forces one to be a better developer, but this seems a less sweaty approach! I just happen to be an advocate of trial and error and hard work and the stuff you learn really sticks that way. Old school? Yes.

Anyway, I found this page with all the possible options and their default settings and I have no issues with any options for basic projects and newbies. It's when you get into XHTML strict that I might make a few changes, but newbies should learn transitional first.

Hope this helps. This is purely my opinion, others might chime in with suggestions who have used it as newbies.

-jim

torndownunit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2009
The main thing I would actually be using this for, and what I tracked it down for, is for when I receive sites I have to update or edit where the code is a complete mess.

Ideally I can redo them myself, and work on my own coding skills in the process. But unfortunately I don't always get that option, and some of the sites are just a disaster. Running this on them at least allows me to read them a little better sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.