Suggested steps for locating an iPad from a retailer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadLocator, Mar 15, 2011.

1. iPadLocator Guest

I figured with all the confusion out there, and the many, many, many pissed off people who went home empty handed this morning, it might make sense to summarise what I've learned so far about the best way to go about locating an iPad locally.

Step 1. Check Target

You'd be surprised how many people have found local Targets with a few remaining iPads in stock, simply because others didn't bother. This probably will not work in heavily populated areas, so for your next step:

2. Check local retailers, specifically college campus bookstores. These locations, authorized Apple retailers, will get shipments on a regular basis throughout the week (mine is getting some in tomorrow). They tend to be pretty open about when they expect to get stock, and some will even take your information down and call you if you ask nicely.

3. Check twitter. I set up an account to help people do this: @iPadLocator, but doing searches for "iPad in line" and "iPad in stock" "iPad picked up" etc, can locate individuals who are kind enough to tweet the status at their local store.

4. Check on here and other websites. People are posting local info on MacRumors forums, but it's a bit disorganized as almost anyone with new info starts their own thread. Search is helpful, but in many cases the information will be stale by the time you find it.

5. Call Apple Stores and ask them point blank if they will have any iPads for sale tomorrow morning, and then get your ass in line at 6AM. I've found some stores that will actually tell you (Monterey, CA is an example), and others that are coy. What we've learned today is that coy ("we're opening early tomorrow" does NOT equal "we will have iPads tomorrow") so take that into account. The last thing you want to do is wake up at 6AM to head to a store where they have no iPads. If a store refuses to give you a definite answer, my suggestion is either "Don't go" or "Go, but be prepared to be disappointed."

6. Remember that you're probably not going to get the exact model you want, unless you've verified over the phone that whatever store you visit has that specific model in stock. That's why I'm not planning to wait in line to buy my own iPad until I'm certain they'll have my 64GB Black ATT 3G model. If you want an iPad this week, odds are good (based on what I've seen on here and on twitter yesterday and today) that you'll end up picking a different color, size or wireless connection.

An option in that situation is to see if local individuals have posted a request for a swap. (see my twitter feed for a guy in LA who picked up a 64 Gig today but wants a 16 Gig) I have no doubt you'll be able to find a buyer for an iPad you purchase, but there will be a hassle factor if you sell it on Ebay or craigslist.

Finally, word has gotten around that there will be (and take this with a big grain of salt) many local shipments arriving at Apple stores and authorized retailers tomorrow, if they didn't arrive today. The color, number, and connection type are unknowns, so like I said, don't stand in line without understanding the very real possibility you'll go home empty handed or with something you don't want. That said, if you have the time, (or, like me, you're willing to do it for someone else because you're a student) it's worth showing up tomorrow if you get there really, really, really F*ing early.

Good Luck!

2. Snaaake! macrumors member

+1
    you're right up there with the guy who sent his iPad money to Japan. Thanks for helping people find iPads. I'll be following you on twitter :D

3. wenstinator macrumors member

How accurate is that target inventory check? it says a location by me is in stock, but when i called the employee said absolutely nothing in stock.

Anyone else had luck with this method?

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

I have experience with Target's inventory system from a few years ago when I bought a Wii. Often times there are inconsistencies due to the fact that the inventory systems are not real time and update at specific intervals. So, that's why it may show online as being in stock, but then at the store there is nothing. This could be because all stock was sold, or that the stock hasn't made it to the store or sales floor yet.

5. GCY macrumors regular

2 AT&T models show "available" at my target. Since its a 5 minute walking distance away from my house, I got my ass over there ASAP, there is nothing in stock. Not even ipad 1.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Same here. I'll wait and see for when the statuses change from out to available, but besides that, it doesn't seem too accurate.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you know he's basically Reposting information that's already here on this forum to promote himself?

8. billhelm macrumors regular

multiple people in the Target thread are reporting success with that method. Key is to check it late at night or early in the morning before the stores open and get there as the store is opening - they restock at night.

9. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

My university store told me Apple just said they have shipped them a large order of iPad 2s today from China. They were supposed to come last week on Friday, but of course never made it. The rep claimed all the models would be represented. Either the rep is BSing me, or I'm at a loss as to why Apple's own retail stores don't know this information.

10. goMac macrumors 603

Huh, wonder if this will be hitting Apple Stores.

11. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

[​IMG]

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

The Apple Store was as vague as ever. I'm done with them because I don't have the time to camp every morning. I just hope what the Apple rep told me at the uni store was legit. I have a feeling demand there will be slightly less than at these other major retailers.

13. baummer macrumors 6502a

My university store rep told me the same thing. I suspect this is because they have Apple sales reps they communicate with who can give them better information. Retail stores and retail partners are different animals it seems. Could also be that a supply order shipped from China today could be destined for Apple retail partners, perhaps in this case specifically college stores, as well as additional shipments destined for Apple stores.

14. DMBsaint macrumors newbie

College bookstores = disappointing!

Tried this, they brought my iPad out and everything, then wouldn't sell it to me because I was not a college student :mad:

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'm okay with this. Let the college campus bookstores sell them to us - the students!

16. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Yeah, you had to be a student to reserve one. I'm fine with that. Last thing I want is a line forming at our store on campus every morning!

17. baummer macrumors 6502a

Some campus stores are lax about this, others not. I'm an employee of a university, so I won't run into any issues, assuming of course my campus store receives promised stock. As of today, they still haven't received their shipment they were supposed to have received on March 11.

18. GCY macrumors regular

I'm still seeing 2 models "available" at my Target since yesterday morning. Either the site never updated or employees are holding them hostage.

19. Walko83 macrumors member

oh hai!

Buy two and ill Purchase one off you :eek:P 16gb white wi-fi please... thanks a bunch!

20. sriggles macrumors newbie

Awesome post and the best way to find and iPad. Used the info to snag a 32GB iPad from a semi local Target and got the last one! :)

21. mohmandm macrumors member

I called a Target in Farmington Hills, MI and they said they just sold out of their 32gb ipads. In the morning, it said out of stock and now the website says it's in stock... Also, I checked the Kalamazoo area and multiple Targets that were out of stock now say limited availability. So this means some are getting shipments!

22. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz