Suggested Sticky: When is the next (insert whatever here) coming out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdj, Oct 9, 2007.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

FAQ: When is the next firmware, update, iPhone, model, etc., coming out?

Answer: NO ONE HERE KNOWS! Anyone with a keyboard can speculate. If you are looking for hard answers, hurry up and wait. The only people who know for sure are a select few inside Apple.

Can we pretty please make this a sticky?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Why would anyone know? It would all be speculation, and i say around the release of leopard. Does that work for you?

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Dude, i wasn't being mean, i was just saying. If you had searched around the forums, you would have been able to find stuff. Im not against you for not, i rarely do as well, but those are the answers youll see. Sorry if i came off harsh.

5. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Ok am I on Candid Camera or something? Someone help me out here!

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Next update will probably be by the end of October, even if it is only for some bug fixes. By the end of the year we might see some type of cool new app unleashed from Apple. At the very latest I believe we will get some new apps at MacWorld in January.

Next iPhone? Two answers for this one. I think at MacWorld the 16GB version of iPhone will be unveiled. It will be the same iPhone currently available, but with more storage. They might also release some type of color option too. iPhone 2 will still probably be at least a year or more. The earliest I see another model of iPhone is the end of 2008. For a new iPhone there needs to be new features and apps that are not already available and the design will have to be somewhat different. I don't see Apple releasing the same looking phone with different features. The next iPhone will need a different look to sell people on.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Three weeks from today, Steve Jobs will accidentally have his head banged up by a giant plasma screen falling off his bedroom ceiling.

When he wakes up, he will go into work and decree that the new iPhone model must not have any screen at all, just loads of lightweight plastic buttons and a 1970s red LED one line display. He will also ask Woz to come back and design a floppy interface for it.

Apple stock will skyrocket with the news, and fanboys will praise the new UI.

Verizon, seeing the red display, will go ga-ga for the new phone, and give Apple 100% of their monthly contract fees.

9. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Ok, obviously I was not clear in my OP. I have edited the subject and the post. Hopefully now it makes sense. I am not asking these questions...I am suggesting there be a sticky to cap the flood of these types of questions.

10. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I am going to have to disagree with you here. Although I don't really doubt a 16GB iPhone at MW I do. ( that makes sense right?) anyway, I also dgt believe that 2G will have to look different, it will just have to have different hardware that will make the phone be able to achieve a higher status greatness. 3G internet, better battery life, faster processor, better wifi chip. The list could go on. I do agree that we wont be seeing that for awhile though.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Some of us understood what you meant, and I'm sure you mean well, but this is MacRumors after all, not MacJustTheFacts like that horribly censored iPhone forum run by Apple itself.

:)

12. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

I have no problem with rumors. Rumors tend to have some basis in fact; be it history, inside info, leaks, FCC filings, etc...even if they never pan out.

However, questions like "When will X happen?", posted again and again, to which there are no definitive answers, and whose replies contain page after page of pure ether clogging speculation (and countless "hurry up Apple!" comments), are not rumors.

A sticky could let new users know that no one knows when X will happen, and that asking is no more productive or interesting than asking what next weeks' lottery numbers will be.

The sticky should not stop people from posting their own rumors, gossip, hearsay, etc. With any luck, there would be less "When is the next X coming out?" questions on the board, and thereby more room for rumors!

13. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

He deserved it :p

Attached Files:

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

The only reason I say a different design is because that seems to be the way Apple is going at things lately. The new iMac, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, even iPod Classic is slightly different. There are also the rumors of new MacBooks being thinner and redesigned. Recently when Apple updates things they just have a different look to them. I do agree with you that the next iPhone will need a faster processor and better battery life.

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well true abuot them redesigning, but the built the iphone in the standards of there already partially redisnged line of products. I dont think it will see a huge redesign, if any, but only time will tell.

17. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Note to self: don't post a suggestion to reduce the amount of pointless speculation; the thread will be hijacked and turned into pointless speculation.

18. dasmb macrumors 6502

I think the thread will be redesigned to have multiple colors.

A 16 gig version of the thread at MacWorld makes sense.

Macrumors, why won't you open the thread to third party development??? huh???

19. salilsundresh macrumors 6502

I don't think we can expect an update until December at the earliest. If you will notice, Apple called 1.1.1 the "Fall '07 Update"..if it came in October, what would they call it? the "Fall '07 Update....#2!!!"