Price Advice Suggested value for a Mid-2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justausername, May 27, 2013.

1. justausername macrumors newbie

I've just purchased a new Retina MBP so now it's time to get rid of the old, but just don't know what value to give it...

It's a mid-2011 15" Pro, 2Ghz Quad Core i7, 16GB 1333Mhz RAM, 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD and a 750GB HDD in the optical bay. The machine is in excellent condition, bar the 6 key being a bit wonky.

I've searched eBay but there's not really any machines to compare it to, so is anyone able to offer any rough estimates?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. justausername thread starter macrumors newbie

Gazelle gave me $512 and Mac2Sell gave me $1000... think it's worth a bit more than that.

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Unless all keys are in perfect working order, and it has a brand new battery in it, and there are no other issues, I wouldn't necessary say that it's in "excellent condition". I would say "good condition" is a more accurate phrase.

A grand is the absolute most it would be worth with the above in mind.

6. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

I sold my top end 2010 15" MBP also with a 256ssd + 500 in the optical bay for $1400 on kijiji in toronto a few weeks ago (not sure if they have that where you are, basically a nicer craigslist). So i'd probably say yours is worth up to 1700, maybe more. Just post it on your local ads for a local sale for maximum $$.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The ram and ssd are nice, but they may not add a huge amount to the used value. Without them in excellent condition probably around $1000. I would call that a push given the ram and ssd but with a key problem. Keys are expensive to fix as they require a new keyboard. As someone already mentioned it's also a used battery. Apple was charging $1200 for that model last time I saw them refurbished.

I guess stupid buyers do exist. The OCZ drive is around $125. It depends on the brand, but you can find a 16GB upgrade from one with few complaints for $100. Apple never had these as cto options, so you can't use their pricing. Typically I restore things like ram if I have to send it in for service, as Apple will only warranty the parts the unit they supplied, in spite of ram being user serviceable. Fixing the keyboard would be $200-300. As I mentioned Apple's last refurb pricing was $1200 on these units. You can find 2012s as cheap as $1350 or so on the refurbished site. To say it's actually worth $1700 is completely disingenuous. You might find a buyer, but they would have to be a complete idiot.

8. pogoyoyo macrumors regular

Keys are replaceable one by one, or it could just need a cleaning which apple would do free of cost most times.
    Refurb units are $1500, he added a $200 SSD with the obtibay $100 addon with installation costs being about an hour at roughly $100/h, $1700 isn't unreasonable at all. However, real world numbers would say closer to $1500. Either way the gazelle and whatever other numbers you got are ridiculous and selling locally is smarter.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Just a couple things, Gazelle essentially provided a wholesale quote. They are going to resell them either as units or for parts through whatever distribution. You never get the retail value of something through a tradein program.

The SSD sells for $125 new. I couldn't find that exact model, but the newer ones are roughly that price. That is new. The OP is selling one that is used and a couple years old. You can mark labor and whatever you like into that equation. It doesn't mean a potential buyer will pay for it.

As for refurb units, where are you getting your numbers? I was apparently only $30 off on that model. 2012 models come up around $1300-1400 frequently. Once you're up around $1500 you can generally find a better purchase with a warranty. Depending on what is important to you, the 2012s have a far better gpu than the 6490m in the model mentioned, and they have usb3. It depends on your priorities, but I think it would be a terrible buy at $1500.

The refurbished unit I showed was $1230. They wouldn't contain old batteries and chargers. They are more like $1000 used if that, at least in LA. The older OCZ drive is probably worth $60 as is. The HDD is a couple years old. I wouldn't add much for used drives in general. Right now the key sticks. If the OP has it cleaned, and that results in a completely functional keyboard, that's different from saying a cleaning may or may not fix it. You're deriving figures in the most ridiculous way possible. Someone was dumb enough to pay that for yours, and you benefited from it.

I would agree that you tend to do better selling locally. Buyers can look over the machine before buying. You do not have to deal with ebay fees, disputes, or anything of that sort. You don't have to deal with tradein rates from a company like Gazelle.

10. justausername thread starter macrumors newbie

Regarding the key, it's not as if it isn't working or anything. It's working perfectly fine, it's just sitting at a bit of an angle compared to the rest... The battery is at 90% health which isn't too bad at all, about 172 cycles down and like I said, the machine is in good condition otherwise. Also both the SSD and hard drive in it are only a year old.

$1500 doesn't seem a bad price at all, that roughly equates to £1000 and there seems to be base models from the same time period going for £900 over here.

11. canman4PM macrumors 6502

canman4PM

Prices are often different on the US and Canadian Apple stores.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was going by US pricing until I realize the OP is in the UK. Usually I ask first. Whenever it's an issue of £, pricing is often higher both new and used. The /UK site also lacked a lot of refurbished inventory compared to the US one. It comes down to the local market.