Suggesting for adding a SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ScottFitz, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

I did this with my old imac last year when a hard drive failed. I went to Best Buy and had the guy help me pick out the right sized hard drive and I paid them to install it. I didn't want to open up an imac. It was their standard ~$40 charge. Well worth it. For an additional $100 or so, they offered to then test it and reload the OS.... I knew I had good Time machine back ups at home and I passed on it. Took it home and loaded up my last back up.

So, for you guys wanting to add a SSD to your macbook, why not let Best Buy Geek Squad do it. Just a thought.

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Well, an iMac is a little different, and harder to upgrade yourself, because you need to remove the screen. For a MacBook Pro though, it's literally 12 philips screws, 4 torx screws, and the hard drive is out. The whole process takes less than 5 minutes, so spending $40 on that is a ridiculous thing to do. Of course, I'd do the job myself for an iMac too, but I can understand why people would be hesitant there.

3. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Five minutes? :eek:

When I'm ready Ill send it to you. :D

4. svenn macrumors 6502

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Can you open a door?

IF yes: you can replace a HDD on a MBP.

IF no: you can't leave your house to go to Bestbuy.

6. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

LOL. Yeah its more dangerous to drive to best buy than it is to take the back cover of your macbook off.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

And honestly, I wouldn't trust Best Buy with my MacBook Pro.

8. svenn macrumors 6502

If we're being honest, I wouldn't trust BB with anything, except taking my money.

9. ScottFitz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh well, it's an option for those of you that aren't comfortable doing it yourself. Maybe this idea will help them. To the rest of you, if you can't say something nice, ****.

10. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

iMac is one thing, MacBooks are another. Let's leave it at that.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1

Also... everybody is forgetting the tools needed to do this. I assume the OP does not have a 00 Phillips screwdriver and a #6 Torx driver on hand, so he would need to find and purchase those. Admittedly not difficult, but everybody has overlooked that.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

i did mine in 5 mins, i'd rather keep the monies.