[Suggestion] Add a "solved" label

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by ravenvii, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

At the Ubuntu forums they have a nifty thing where if your problem is solved, you can add a [SOLVED] tag to your title, to let others know that your problem is solved.

This would work great in the basics 'n' help forums.

What think you?

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

The OP and mods can always change the thread title so that it includes a "[SOLVED]". Why introduce an extra label?

3. kabunaru Guest

It will be extra work for the mods that could always be done by the thread starter.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yes. This is why I wrote that also the thread starter (=OP) can do this.

5. kabunaru Guest

Oh. For some reason, I didn't see "OP" there. :eek:

Anyways, this is a good idea and hope it gets implemented.

6. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

It has the thumbs up from me, would make it a lot quicker when searching for an answer so you can weed out which results are worth clicking and which to leave be.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think this is a good idea. But as others have mentioned, the original poster can always add this to the thread title once their problem is addressed. The other problem I can see is that new members with questions would be as unlikely to tag their articles no matter how such tagging is implemented.

Perhaps the best way to carry this out is to simply encourage this behavior in the future, hoping that newer members will catch on as it becomes more prevalent.

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I think the main reason new members don't update their thread titles is because they're too Lazy/a post once and leave person/don't know how.

It would be nice if solved threads could just be reported and "solved" be put in the text box, as that would work with the current scheme of things, ie, not require anything extra to be added to the system.

Also it means older members who know the system can help rather than relying on a newbie who won't really fully understand how things work yet and thus, won't report their thread to be sorted as "Solved"

9. gotzero macrumors 68040

if I saw "solved" in a thread title added by the user, I would think it meant it was either n/a or self-solved (not explained).

10. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

The argument against having the mods do it has already been made.

As for the OP, as was said above, it'd be extra work. You'd have to click "edit", then click "advanced", then modify the title, and then click "save". To think it'll become a widespread practice is foolish. With my suggestion (and the Ubuntu forums' implementation), you simply click a button "mark this thread as solved" (only the original poster can do this, of course) and boom, a [SOLVED] tag will be added.

This will make things more consistent too - you won't see {SOLVED}, [solved] [Solved], [SoLvEd], (sovled] and so on.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nice idea. It's not a built-in feature of vBulletin, but there are hacks that can do this.

One issue is that we tend to be conservative about add-ons here, as they have a tendency to break as vBulletin gets updated, which causes headaches for us. It's something we can consider though.

12. kabunaru Guest

Thanks for considering it. :) It would be a very useful feature if you guys choose to implement it.

13. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

They have this feature on the Apple Discussions forums and it's really annoying. I can't count the number of times a thread has been marked "solved" when it's really not, or when ancillary problems have emerged as part of the solution. And once that happens, people who might have known the answer often don't bother reading the thread.

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Good idea. Should be a sticky, or made into a forum rule.

If people have additional side things, they should start a new thread, and post it on the original thread.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How would we enforce this forum rule?

16. kabunaru Guest

Could give a sticky saying it's recommended after you think the thread you started is solved or answered, you should label it: "Solved."

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Rules are usually enforced. A sticky doesn't really do much because not everyone reads them. Rules are for things we'd rather people wouldn't do, rather than encouraging people to do things. Breaking the rules can lead to some form of restriction in return... do people really want us to start handing out timeouts and warnings because someone didn't put [solved] in their thread titles?

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

ravenvii,

I noticed this old thread and thought I should point out that we added the feature you requested. You are welcome to label this thread [Resolved]!