Suggestion: Add subforum for Security and Privacy

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by You are the One, Feb 12, 2016.

?

Should a forum for non-political discussions on Security and Privacy be added to the forum?

1. Yes, good idea

47 vote(s)
    83.9%
  2. No, everything is fine as is

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. You are the One, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

You are the One macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Greetings,

Considering how the digital world is evolving I suggest that MacRumors add one section for non-political discussions on Security and Privacy

* edited: two sub-sections to the forum one for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch and one for Macs.

These would be iOS Security and Privacy under the first and OS X Security and Privacy uner the second.

The rationale is that privacy and security related issues are becoming increasingly a consideration for users. MacRumorus is a great place to put questions, there are a lot of quite knowledgable users that support others and this area.

Secondly, awareness, information and education relating to these two areas are important.

Thirdly, it would make easier to find and browse security and privacy related issues if they had their own places.

Fourthly, I think it, because of the above, will add to the MacRumours brand and general interest of the site.

/YATO

*edit: Updated title of thread 20160328

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE:

I generally like the idea, and could support it, but would suggest perhaps starting with a single forum as this extends to the cloud and cross platform issues.

B

3. You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Yes, agreed. Thanks for reply.

Considering current events and Apple being the only company that has protection of Privacy as a strategic focal point, a place for that would be natural.

4. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

5. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I totally support this sub-forum request.

Jon...

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't see how this can work given you put every front page thread on security in PRSI.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a good point, given how tightly encryption and security are tied to political issues, almost any security discussion could very well descend into PRSI hell.

8. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Why not make it a sub-forum of PRSI with the same rules then?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's an option, but given how the PRSI is a cesspool, where very little positive discussions occur, I'd say that it would be a waste of bandwidth and energy to carve out a Security and Privacy sub forum.

10. You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

I'm in favour of not having it in PRSI. It should be more of technical discussions and practical implications and use cases. A place where people can get educated in understanding security and privacy issues as well as ask questions and post relevant security related non-political information.

11. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Good points about if it was in PRSI.....hummmmm.

Do you all think it really would become it's own version PRSI if it was a sub forum of the "Mac Community" section? Maybe with a sticky defining what types of posts, replies, etc.... are acceptable like some of the other sections have.

I know I would welcome a section dedicated to security and privacy instead of having that information spread out all over different sections/threads.

We will always have trolls and/or differences of opinion in a community this large. No way to avoid it especially on the Internet where folks will say things to others they would never say to them in person. And I suspect it would be the "privacy" topics that would generate the most conflict vs. the "security" topics, but maybe not.

So it would probably take a lot of moderator time which may be asking to much of the mod's because they might have to move threads that got out of control to the PRSI while leaving a link to them with "Moved:" in the title so folks could still read those threads if they wish.

Anyway, if a dedicated area becomes available to discuss security and privacy issues I look forward to joining in and sharing what knowledge I have and learning from others.

Just my 0.02 worth,

Jon...

12. You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

There is also the possibility of having general Privacy issues discussed @ PRSI and give Security issues its own space in a non-PRSI forum.

The technical and use case related issues to privacy actually relates to security anyway and can be discussed there in a non-political way.

13. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Thats a good idea about just creating a security section by it's self and letting the privacy fall where it fits best.

From the comments I have read regarding privacy it does not take long before they fall into flame wars between those that are for and those against preserving privacy at all costs. It usually starts with "I have nothing to hide so .......". And if you have followed any of those you know where it goes from there :D

However this plays out thanks for starting the discussion and putting a link to it in your signature. I never would have known if you had not done that. Hopefully more people will add their 0.02 to this thread so the mod's will have a better idea of how much interest there is.

Jon...

14. You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

Yes, people need to chip in and support or the mods don't have the incentive. Hopefully some will do :) Cheers Jon.

15. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

You Are The One,

Since there have not been anymore posts I decided to do a search on this site to see what other security, privacy, and encryption topics/posts have been made and where they are being posted.

It appears most of the posts are in PRSI and OSX. There are also some in the iOS/iPhone areas. Sadly, from the quick search I did it does not appear to be as much interest in real discussion regarding security and privacy (I'm not including what goes on in PRSI). That's not to say the interest is not there, and I did not read every thread, so my assumption may be incorrect.

Maybe adding a poll to this thread (if that's possible) would provide a better idea of the interest in creating an area to discuss these topics.

On a more positive note........

Below is some info for you, and anyone else that might be interested.

A couple years ago I was turned on to a great podcast called "Security Now" by Steve Gibson. It's a weekly podcast on Tuesdays that deals with security and privacy issues and is available either from Steve's website, or on iTunes.

Steve's web site: https://www.grc.com/intro.htm (lots of good stuff on the site)
    Podcasts here: https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm (Transcripts also available)

iTunes audio podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/security-now-mp3/id79016499?mt=2
    iTunes video podcast here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/security-now-video-hi/id365810595?mt=2

I've learned a lot from those podcasts in the last couple years and would recommend them to anyone who wants to keep up with what's going on in the areas of computer security and privacy. I'm sure there are other sources, some even more technical. But Steve does a good job of explaining stuff to those of us who do not work in those areas on a daily basis.

One word of caution though. Once you start listing to the podcasts you may find yourself getting a little paranoid about all the threats in the Internet ;)

Jon...

16. justiny Contributor

justiny

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, all it takes is one or two clowns to ruin the experience for everyone else.

I would have to go out on a limb and say the Mods don't want another place to babysit. That being said, I'm highly interested in this as a topic for logical discussion.

17. throAU, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2c.

Security and privacy are important for everyone, i don't see what there is to be gained by sectioning it off into a seperate forum? I suspect you'll just end up with fewer people seeing posts in there and maybe not finding out about issues.

edit:
    IMHO, security is not (just) a political issue. Or rather, you can split the technical facts regarding implementation from the political ideology.

Whether or not you think NSA spying or backdoor-ing is a good idea for example, you still want to be able to protect yourself against known bad actors by whatever means are at your disposal. i.e., patching known holes, running things like file vault, find my iPhone, etc.

If there's a security sub-forum, it should be totally seperate from the political stuff and political discussion in the security section should be moderated as off-topic.

18. You are the One, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

You are the One thread starter macrumors 6502a

You are the One

That's a good suggestion. I have added a poll.

Yes, I know his site. He is great. Thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    Yes, I can appreciate that. Let's see what they say when/if enough interest is generated.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 28, 2016 ---
    I suppose that gain would be that, depending on how it works out, a space is created where people who are interested can find security related information and resources. Hopefully the access to security related information would be easier.

Agreed.

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68030

Rhonindk

If a thread gets out of hand it can always be moved.
    Personally, a P&S item would be a very welcome item.
    One item to consider; this could quickly become an event that exceeds the Apple boundary. I could see other OS's and devices brought into the discussions.

20. KALLT macrumors 601

Anything that keeps good threads out of that terrible politics forum is a good move.

21. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Sadly, you're interacting with the wrong user base thinking education is something people are interested in here.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

I don't see how that would be possible if the rules would limit a P&S to technical discussions only.

I've always wondered why the MR bot starts threads on these topics in PRSI.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not a bot, its the editors, because in the past when the threads were not moved, they descended to PRSI content very quickly and it was impossible for the moderation staff to keep it out of the thread. Some topics are best suited in the political/religious/social issues forum and this appears to be one such example.

24. Meister Suspended

Meister

You obviously have the experience, but I'd guess it would be possible to limit the topic to technical issues.

That seems to work for the rest of the forums, too.

By moving privacy and security topics to PRSI you limit them to the PRSI side of the topic.

The technical dimension is entirely different from the political relevance.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not disagreeing, but I do wonder given the current political and judicial climate in the US and around the world, if its possible keep ahead of the discussion and remove the political content.