Suggestion: Apple should make the iOS messages app icon blue

apb89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Either use the OS X messages app icon for consistency or basically turn the green icon to blue. I think it would add more consistency with iMessage awesomeness. Gonna email Apple this suggestion shortly.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
This is inevitable, just as the iTunes icon was changed to do away with the CD.

Eventually iPhoto will be a victim of the same as phones slowly replace cameras as the primary means of capturing images.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
It would be pretty cool to see the ML Messages icon as an iOS icon. Even as a mockup.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
I agree.

Plus the phone app is already green, change messages to match the artwork of the OS X version.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
It would certainly help me from accidentally hitting the damn Phone icon when I meant to hit the Messages icon. Or maybe that's a sign that I text way too much :p

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Either use the OS X messages app icon for consistency or basically turn the green icon to blue. I think it would add more consistency with iMessage awesomeness. Gonna email Apple this suggestion shortly.

I don't believe the icon will be changing because the new blue bubble is to indicate that the conversation is being done over iMessage (green bubble = standard text).

Changing the icon from green to blue would make people believe that every message is now an iMessage. My personal favorite is this image above (neutral white), but I still don't see it happening.

Edit:
  • Safari
  • Mail
  • Voice Memo
  • Stock
  • App Store
  • Video
  • Weather
  • Photos (blue sky)

Are already blue, iOS has enough blue icons.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jun 8, 2009
Kentucky, USA
I think this is a great idea. It should also be switched, because the blue message comes from the right, not the left
It wouldn't make people think all messages are iMessages just like people don't think every message is SMS

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
They need to change the Mail Icon on the Mac to match that of the iPhone.

I'm sorry, but no one uses stamps anymore.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
This is inevitable, just as the iTunes icon was changed to do away with the CD.
Funny how they did away with the CD but kept the music note when 1/2 the store is movies/tv.

Anyways. The beauty of iOS/OSX is the consistency and yes, the icon should be changed to reflect that.

The learning curve for iOS->OSX or OSX->iOS is so so shallow.

(On a side note, it would be sweat to have Messages send/receive texts on the desktop as well)