Suggestion for a good Messenger program

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mariexd, Oct 12, 2008.

1. mariexd Guest

I am new to the mac computer, and I'm currently having a problem. I would like to know what is a good messenger program that I can receive offline messages and able to webcam. I have aMSN, but every so often I keep having problems. I am unable to use the webcam, which makes it frustrating. I tried Messenger for Mac, but it doesn't support offline messages or webcam. I even tried Adium, but it doesn't support webcam either. I chat with my relatives from another country, so it is important to webcam. Skype isn't an option, since all my contacts (including myself) use hotmail, and it is quite expensive to chat with someone online from overseas. Does anyone have any suggestions of what is a good program that would offer what I'm looking for in terms of chatting live and offline messages. Does anyone know much about iChat if it supports hotmail or yahoo? Any advise would be helpful. :confused:

2. corinhorn macrumors 6502a

corinhorn

The best of all world is Adium, but as you discovered, it does not support video chats.

Google talk supports offline messages from google's web interface. iChat can be used for online google talk messages.

Supposedly, there are hacks that make iChat work with MSN and other messaging services, but I have not had any luck with them.

3. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Skype chat and webcam is free... you just need to make a Skype account. You only need to pay if you start calling them.