Suggestion for a PPC Mac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cambookpro, Aug 10, 2012.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Hi,
    After reading these forums it had awoken my desire for a PPC Mac again! I loved the PowerBooks I used and wanted to basically buy a 'mess around' PPC Mac that I can play with for a bit.

Any suggestions? I'm on a tight budget so preferably something that hasn't held it's value well!
    Also looking for a laptop as I haven't got much space. I realise this limits my choices somewhat :p

Also, any recommendations of where to buy from, and what price I should be looking at? There's a computer shop down the road that sells old Macs, but I'm not sure how much they are relative to their value.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

2. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Well laptop-wise, you are definitely looking at iBooks and Powerbooks. If you want to stay "functional" (such as still able to view the web without too many hassles, better application support), I would definitely look at getting a higher grade iBook (or even PowerBook). Both have really went down in price recently and you can probably get a very decent one if you don't mind spending just a little more than you would for a lesser one. I totally found this out the hard way, I bought one of the first iBook G3's and I found myself wanting something that was a little more modern. I see you are in England, so I don't know much about prices over there. I always follow eBay and even Amazon sometimes.

As a rule, iBooks are always cheaper than PowerBooks. Like I said, if you want to stay functional, I'd definitely look for a machine over 1GHz. You'll also want plenty of RAM, and Tiger or Leopard. Panther and older really do not have good web browser support, so I would not recommend buying one with it preinstalled unless you have a way to upgrade it.

Also, note a lot of iBook G3's (and some iBook G4's) have issues with their GPU's shorting out. I would really try to avoid iBooks 600-900MHz range, and even some lower spec'd G4's. 500MHz iBooks seem to not have this problem as often, and higher end G4 iBooks (like 1.25GHz+) models seem to not experience it as frequently. Powerbook's also have their problems too, Titanium PowerBooks (G4, 400MHz-1GHz) have issues with paint peeling around the sides and also have joint failure at the hinges.

Good luck! :cool:

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Since I'm local I'm obliged to ask which store you're talking about :p If you were to check it out and post the prices we could definitely tell you if they're reasonable or not.

4. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i learned the entire Mac OS X system on a eMac 1.0GHz and a iBook G4 1.25GHz so i personally am attached to eMacs and iBook G4s and you can get a iBook G4 (most with Tiger or Leopard installed) for really cheap prices.

5. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Agreed..

It's been a few years since I was across the pond as it were. But if you are looking for a laptop for daily "work-horse" use. I would start here:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.42_14.html

On this side of the ditch, you can find them for around $150.00 before shipping, so in pounds sterling? A steal of a deal. Do some google homework and know what they are really worth.

While some have pointed out the chipping issues on the G4 Titanium series, they are still quite useable today at the price points you will find them at. I have owned a 400, 500 and 550. All where great for what I got them for. If you want to step up to a flag ship in the PPC range? Look for what I am typing on now:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.5_15_2.html

This is the starting point, the DLSD 15's and 17's are really the best of the best when it comes to portable G4 laptops;

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/specs/powerbook_g4_1.67_15_hr.html

Those are the best you can get, though you will find that most go for a premium that is close to buying a refurb 2011 mac mini.

Most of us diehards, stick with our PPC gear for a reason. While the hardware doesn't do everything the new shiny Retina Macbooks do, they work for us, in a price point we can afford, in some ways using these computers remind us of booting our SE/30 for the first time, or the first time we took a Wally out about the town and looked at all the clunky Toshiba's and Gateways around. In stepping a bit back into older hardware, you are embarking on a choice to do more with less, and proving others wrong. It's a great place to be, with a bit of bragging rights along the way! Do some homework and if nothing else? Have some fun with it.

6. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Thanks everyone! I think since I won't actually use it for any work but still want the web browser to be functional, I may try and find a higher specced iBook G3/lower-medium specced G4. Will try and post some prices when I find one!

Haha, can't remember what it's called as I've only been in their twice, but it's opposite the station in Reading just up from where the bus stop used to be? Until they started digging everything up round here... :rolleyes:
    It's got red writing on a white background from what I remember :p

7. Liquinn Suspended

I'd get a Powermac G5; those things are lovely. :)

8. Mengele macrumors member

9. ihuman:D, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012

ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Just because Apple says something is dead doesn't mean it is and if your acting like this get out of this forum(we need down vote button back).

10. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Well, yeah. Doesn't mean it's not good for a mess around on.

11. Mengele macrumors member

No, the market has determined that by most applications removing PPC support and Mac sales per year doubling immediately after 2006.

[​IMG]

My what is acting like what? :confused:

Its even more so "not good" when money is involved, especially for people on a budget like you.

Basically for you if it costs more than "free", skip it.
    Any "computer shop" that sells macs will be a horrible deal, especially PPC macs since they will know little about them and think they have some kind of value like the intel macs. Pawn shops for example frequently have G5 iMacs and still ask $300+ for them even though they are nearly worthless.

12. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

apple has declared the 2006 1st gen intel macs dead so its meaningless because apple comes out with a new every 6 months so in 1-2 years time ur current mac is completely obsolete by apple's standards

----------

i agree i bought a eMac a year or so ago and i use it on a regular basis in fact, the only time its NOT used is when im playing games.

13. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

i have a duo 2 ghz g5 and i love it !!!! and u can get them at good prices now a days

14. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

actually this is not true my eMac is worth 160 bucks i bought it for around 50 the MDD G4 is still worth 120 and the G5s are still worth close to 200 bucks

15. ihuman:D, Aug 11, 2012

If PowerPC is really dead then why is there a forum dedicated to it?
    If your going around saying PowerPC is dead then why are you in this forum?
    Suggestion,stop trolling.
    And G5 Macs sell for €200 - €400 , they're not worthless even the G3 iMac's are normally €50 which is great for a computer made in the late '90s/early 2000s.

16. Mengele, Aug 11, 2012

Mengele macrumors member

Please stop lying. All software written today will run on it. The same is far from true for any PPC machine, even a Quad G5.

Actually your eMac is worth $80 at the very most if it has maximum RAM and a larger hard drive. If you can find a sucker willing to pay $160 for an eMac reelem' in!

Not even close. A stock dual 1.42 is worth $100 at most with maximum RAM. Even then, a 1.6 G5 is a better option.

Again, not even close. Most are worth only $90-140. Only the dual core models (not dual CPU) and Quad model are worth $200.

There is a forum for 68K macs and newtons too, are they not dead? Link to one company-branded piece of non-freeware software written for either of them in the last 5 years.

To help people fix the machines they have and convince people not to blow any more money on them.

Suggestion; stop asking idiotic questions.

To people dumb enough to buy them!

AHAHHAHAHAHAHA! G3 iMacs are a poor value even when they are FREE!
    Only a first generation Bondi is worth any amount.

I have a Mac Classic, anybody willing to pay me $50 for it? its even got "classic" in its name, it must be a classic and valuable!

17. ihuman:D, Aug 11, 2012

May I ask , what magical country you're living in where prices for PowerPc Macs are so low?
    Lets agree to disagree so you'll stop trolling:D.

18. Zeke D, Aug 11, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

19. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

i used Mac2Sell to get the prices i might not be exact on other macs but i am close my eMac i know for a fact IS worth 160 bucks and thats with my current specs

20. Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

Office 2008 supports .docx files. Most people are fine with it. TenFourFox and AuroraFox gives you the latest version of FireFox. This covers a large amount of what people use computers for. eMail is rarely a problem, and gaming isn't usually a problem either for most people. iTunes has always played music, and isn't that really the main use of iTunes? And even more importantly, people are buying NetBooks today with around the same specs as PPC's from 2003-2005.

You do have a point there. Some shops charge way too much (WegenerMedia for example) but this is not always the case and eBay has plenty of people who sell their decently spec'd PowerPCs for <$100. I got my iBook G4 1.33 GHz for about $180 with a 1-year warranty and Leopard, whereas a new NetBook would've cost twice that, and it wouldn't be a Mac. It is a viable choice for some people.

21. 92WardSenatorFE, Aug 11, 2012

92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

A Mac is worth only as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I believe a lot of people would rather buy them cheap and upgrade it themselves unless they can get a good deal on a decently spec'd one.

For what I've seen, Mac2Sell is normally pretty accurate.

22. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

same here i bougt my eMac bone stock CD-ROM drive 256MB RAM and Panther i upped it to Leopard gave it 1GB RAM (til the stick died) and even upped it to a 7200PRM HDD from its stock 5200RPM however didnt do much preformance upgrade there i even installed a AirPort Extreme inside it Along with a PC DVD Burner Drive.

I just won a PowerMac G4 MDD 1GHz single CPU 768MB RAM it has Tiger on it and once i find where my HDD containing the Leopard Install is hiding ill put Leopard on it unsure if it has wifi but if not ill install my Linksys WMP54G PCI card. It already comes with a USB card and it has a M-Audio Delta in it although i have no idea if i got use for it. later on ill max the ram and install a Dual CPU.

23. 92WardSenatorFE macrumors regular

92WardSenatorFE

Congrats. I'm glad you finally was able to find a Mac that was right for you. I've always liked the MDD G4's looks, never really got to use them much though. They were a little too loud for my taste. ;)

(anyway, we should probably get back on topic soon...)

24. LeoTheLion89 macrumors 6502

LeoTheLion89

noise dont bother me my AMD system runs 5 fans full bore it can be heard 3 rooms away

i really wanted a G5 but in the end the G4 was the cheapest

25. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

My PPC wish list is as follows:

1. MDD firewire 800 with dual 1.42s and 2GB Ram with airport and bluetooth.
    2. G5 dual core 2.3 with a nice SSD for the OS and a crazy fast 1TB drive for my nonsense.
    3. Whatever the fastest G4 Powerbook was. gotta be a 15"