Suggestion for Apple Computers Repair Screwdriver Kits

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aquilc, Dec 30, 2014.

1. aquilc macrumors member

Hi, I would like to purchase Screwdrivers to repair Apple Computers (Desktops & Notebooks), which screwdriver sets do you suggest?

I am not planning to repair iOS devices for now, but if a repair kit would include tools for iOS devices repairs would be better.

The first MacBook which I opened ended defacing some of the screws and had to take it to an Apple service provider, because the screwdriver set weren't ideal for Mac repairs.

I found these 2 sets on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3AK81391958GV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A345A5AM0WZIDN

have anyone on this forum used them for Apple Devices repairs?

Other alternatives are appreciated.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. aquilc thread starter macrumors member

Thanks will check it out :)

4. dyt1983, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

5. Butchie-T macrumors regular

Yep,

ifixit.com A great gadget place for those that want to do it yourself. I got the magnetic project pad and the Pro Tech Toolkit for Christmas. It has pretty much what you will need to go after an Apple device.

6. aquilc thread starter macrumors member

Can you suggest me a good Wiha set from Amazon.co.uk?

I am a technician, and although I do not have regular Mac repairs, but I am planning to buy a set, I do not mind buying a professional set as long as it is reliable and doesn't wear out with usage. My budget is around 100 euros (around $120).

7. dyt1983, Dec 30, 2014

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

8. aquilc thread starter macrumors member

This is the set which defaced the screws:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-Pi...sbs_diy_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1373CBQMR7A2F1FKMY22

I use it for regular notebooks, but didn't have luck when I repaired a MacBook Pro.

When I repaired a MacBook Air I used something similar to these:

http://www.gemalta.com/6-piece-electronic-screwdriver-set.html - wasn't disappointed by the set.

But the second set doesn't include set for iOS devices, and although I do not plan in repair iOS devices, having a set which includes all the required screwdrivers for Apple Devices would be nice.

9. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

It is difficult to tell the quality (without seeing it) except by price or brand name... You will probably never wear out a Wiha driver or break it, although they do have a warranty. The worst part would be losing one because it is £5-10 to replace one!

10. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I can vouch for what others are saying about Wiha. You won't find a better tool, especially for precision electronics work.

While I haven't (knock on wood) had much need to use them on Apple stuff, I used them extensively when I had an electronics lab here as well as for bicycle repair/maintenance.
    Still have all of them and really enjoy using them when I have an application.

As others have stated, perhaps best to kind of acquire them gradually over time as your specific needs become known. To purchase everything you might possibly ever need/want at one time would far exceed your budget. But for the tools you actually use they represent a very solid value as well as tons of enjoyment.

I've purchased them both from Amazon and directly from their USA warehouse in Minnesota. Their online store for the USA is at wihatools.com. Good to check the website periodically, as they often have special sales and promotions that are better than Amazon prices. Plus MUCH more selection than you will find on Amazon. My direct orders have all been handled professionally and shipped promptly.

Request a catalog - lots of good reading ;>)

11. aquilc thread starter macrumors member

12. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

Yes, OP, that is an excellent set. I actually have the same one, and they are a joy to use. The upper red part of the handle is designed to rest against your palm, and rotates so that you can easily make multiple turns without needing to regrip the driver - excellent ergonomic design. Go for it!

13. thedeske macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Wiha - Quality Tools

Most of the "Kits" sold from Mac related sites are garbage. They might have a well matched combo for the computer, but that's about it.

14. dyt1983, Jan 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816