Suggestion for Budget Ipad Cases (Bearmotion, Casecrown, Snugg?)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by hkdude, Apr 4, 2012.

1. hkdude macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I just got an ipad 3 last week, and scratched it already, so I think I probably should get a case for it. I've been looking at some of the budget cases (college student, so I don't want to spend too much on it), and found two similar cases on Amazon - the Bear Motion Leather Case, CaseCrown Standby Case, and the Snugg ipad case.

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Motion-G...ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1333571670&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Sta...ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1333572130&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Snugg-iPad-Ca...ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1333572090&sr=1-4

I just want a case that provides adequate protection and isn't too heavy. Any suggestions/comments as to which budget case works well?
    Thanks!

2. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I had a case similar to those for my new iPad and hated it since the iPad keeps sliding around an causing the camera to be blocked. Currently I'm using poetic hardback, it's pretty cheap (got it for $12 now it's $16 with free shipping) and it'll do for now until case makers have something I like better. Sleep/wake works and magnets are actually pretty strong. See video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI545UBAryY

Link for amazon http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-HardBa...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332371706&sr=1-1

3. batotman macrumors 6502

I'd get the Poetic Strapback over the Hardback. The Hardback doesn't fold flat with the cover pulled back. Drives me nuts. Got a $4 monoprice TPU case on now. Very low profile, like it a lot.

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Well since I've owned 3 Bear Motion cases and my buddy purchased the Case Crown, I'm somewhat of an expert on 2 of the 3. Both of these cases are made extremely well and very functional. I tend to favor the Bear because it's genuine leather and CC is not. I've read that the snugg was heavy but I've not owned it.
    The Bear would be my 1st choice because of the material and the seller, great, great customer service.

5. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Why do people purchase $800 frivolous, redundant tablet computers and then look for budget cases to put them in?

Doesn't make any sense. Spend the money.

BJ

6. laurenr, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012

laurenr macrumors 6502a

From my experience, one of the absolute best budget cases for the iPad is the Yoobao folio. I had one for both my iPad 1 and 2. It comes in a soft (real) leather, and the latest version has an amazing color assortment. Sleep/wake function works perfectly, viewing and typing angles are totally stable:

355292593.450166.jpg
    355292403.751131.jpg

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, people might need more than one case, depending on circumstances. Then there are those that upgrade their iPad every year, and don't want to spend a fortune on a case they will only have for that time. IPads have better resale value than cases.;)

8. kdoug, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I'm an expert on that one also.;)
    The op asked about budget cases in which Bear Motion was my favorite of the 3 he mentioned.
    I really liked the Bear but I always thought it was on the heavy side. Hence, the Yoobao for the iPad 3. Received mine today and it's the next best thing to having a naked iPad. The leather looks and smells great and the fit is meticulous. I purchased the black and I ordered the yellow for my wife from kev on eBay.

----------

Bingo!

9. laurenr macrumors 6502a

I've mentioned this in other threads. I travel a lot during the year, long plane rides to either Europe or Australia. (Crowded airports, cafes,hotels, etc) No matter what other iPad case I have, the Yoobao (or Chinao Wheat, which is similar), is the one I always have my iPad encased in. It just provides that little bit more protection than the clip-on, frameless cases. I own a Joy Factory which is stunning, (costs a bit more),but it does not provide that same corner protection in case of an accidental drop. My Husband and I have both experienced this. His iPad bounced right out of his hard-shell case (Targus), screen shattered on a sidewalk. Mine, survived totally intact, with just a scuff mark on the leather.
    For the price, the Yoobao is of a surprisingly great quality and style.:)

10. illippinno, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I really like my CaseCrown case. It protects it well, slim, wake/sleep function works, and I think it will more than serve for your purpose. And for the price and quickly it shipped to me, it was definitely worth the price.

The fitting is perfect on the new iPad as well. I've read reviews on Amazon about it not fitting, but I can tell you that mine fits perfectly, that it doesn't slide around the case.

Attached are photos I took of mine with the case.

Attached Files:

11. inaka macrumors 6502

12. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I like the look of that white Poetic case and might get one when it is in stock. That can give my white iPad a nice change of look :)

13. inaka macrumors 6502

Me too. I was really hoping for the white one to be available, and still may pick one up when they are available to compliment my white iPad.

It's an all-around great case, and the price is excellent.

14. mikee336 macrumors member

Monoprice case, Any of them. best price to performance ratio period. Not to mention they have excellent customer service.

15. Jamie017 macrumors newbie

+1

16. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

17. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I just ordered a Casecrown trifold case from Amazon in that dark red color. It should be here Monday. However I already own one of their cases for my Kindle Fire in purple and it's a good case. It may not be real leather, but it serves the purpose and my device is secure inside the case.

18. Sinophile macrumors newbie

Expensive cases have nicer packaging, but the quality-price ratio is often very low. You do not always get what you pay for.

19. kerrymayz macrumors newbie

Bear Motion

In reply to the OP, I would take a look at the Bear Motion 3-in-1 Case. I just bought a brown leather one from phoccessories.com and I'm loving it. The leather is soft and it's extremely functional. I've been using it with my Bluetooth keyboard. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to snag a new iPad case. :)