Suggestion for Luggage Bags

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by McGiord, Apr 22, 2008.

1. McGiord, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I want to buy 3 regular size bags to travel by airplane.
    Any great suggestions for good price and reasonable durability?

Thanks
    ________
    Dallara SP1

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I've always liked Samsonite's bags. I've had one for almost twelve years and it's still in good shape (I travel A LOT).

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Eagle Creek make some good bags. Come with lifetime warranty as well .

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you're feeling spendy and want a set that will last you 20 years, look into Travelpro or Hartmann. Stay away from TUMI, it's ridiculously overpriced.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If there is a Costco nearby they have excellent luggage. Mine is made out of ballistic nylon and has oversized zippers. It's wheels roll buttery smooth and the extendable handle is very well built. It's much better quality than any other brand name bags I've seen and had, Samsonite included (which is garbage in my opinion). It's been checked on many flights (although it's FAA approved as a carry on) and it still looks new. Most bags by now would have rips, damaged edges and a broken zipper or two.

This is basically what I have (mine came with a garment and laundry bag):
    Kirkland Signature™ Executive 20" Expandable Trolley

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Samsonite is great, however, only buy them on sale.

If they're completely out of your price range, don't choose something too cheap, however. I borrowed a friend's suitcase once and every time we were waiting in line at the airport that bag in particular fell flat on its face.

8. McGiord, Apr 24, 2008

McGiord thread starter macrumors 601

McGiord

Thanks for the posts so far!

Any of you do frequent international travel, I have noticed that my bags get damaged faster when traveling abroad the USA.
    ________
    silver surfer reviews

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

I fly multiple times each month across the Atlantic and I've kept the same bags for many years. I do, though, find that baggage handling stateside is worse than abroad as I tend to see more damaged stuff on carousels in the US.

10. McGiord, Apr 25, 2008

McGiord

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Today I went to the local KOHL'S and they had some offers and a $10 back for every $50 you spend, so based on these deals I bought 3 Delsey with LifeTime Warranty: 2 x 29" Upright and 1 x 26" Upright for $333.87 and they gave me $60 cash back coupon, that I gave to my wife to buy the presents that we were going to buy there.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/lug...3997/Delsey+Air+Energy+Luggage+Separates.jsp#

I hope that their advertisement about the warranty will payoff later on.
    ________
    cheap easy vape vaporizer

Attached Files:

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Stay away from the Kmart/Walmart el cheapo's but anything with a decent name at a good price is the ticket. I do about 60-100 flights a year and nothing really holds up. I bought a fancy TravelPro once and spent some bucks, after three trips they threw or dropped it so hard they bend pull out handle from the inside. Zipper pulls always come off to the point I carry zip ties so I can perform emergency surgery to open a bag!

Bags last me three year tops. Ever watch the baggage guys and their little train/carts? I've seen more things fall off than I care to think. Fall, tumble let sit in rain/snow/sun and then they'll throw it back on the cart with a vengeance like the bag jumped off.

Matter of fact, I may take some pics and post later...

12. McGiord, Apr 26, 2008

McGiord

I have seen them, and it seems that they just have fun hearing how hard the bags collide with everything, sometimes I noticed that they prefer to adopt a non-ergonomic position/movement to make the bags have a significant travel to a good hit, it's insane.

I wonder how good are the luggage makers responding to their warranty?

I my case I'll be traveling not as frequent as NC Mac Guy, but I think I could have enough time/spare bag to send it a bag for repair once it's needed.
    ________
    Chevrolet buses

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

TravelPro or the eBags house label, both seriously good quality & value. I use both brands for weekly business travel and dollar for dollar, the eBags stuff never ceases to amaze me for the "bang for the buck" and practicality of use.

Samsonite & American Tourister are fine, Tumi is wildly overpriced, and anything from Wal-Mart/KMart/Target/Kohl's is complete & utter crap.