Suggestion for Noise Canceling Headphones

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by elpmas, Nov 21, 2011.

1. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I want a pair of noise canceling headphones to use. The use is for relaxing and moderate purposes. Price range would be $50-100.

What I want is comfortable over the ear headphones and has a good range of bass. Thanks for any suggestion :)

2. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

Don't think I've seen a noise canceling headphones for $50~$100 before.

3. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

Check out: Audio Technica ATH-ANC1

They go for around $80. Though I can't personally vouch for them, I have other Audio Technica headphones (ATH-M40f studio monitors) and they're fantastic. They make good stuff, with great bang for buck.

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Is there any specific purpose you want noise canceling? Active noise canceling headphones are A: overpriced, and B: have poorer sound quality.

I honestly think you should get a good pair of headphones with really good passive noise isolation. Unless you're trying to do something like entirely block out the hum of a jet engine on a plane, I don't see any reason to get noise canceling headphones.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is pretty much the only reason I've ever wanted a pair.

Groupon had a deal on a pair of AblePlanet noise canceling headphones for $69 that ultimately sold out. They were a little unclear about what model they were providing, but based on the specs page they linked, it's a pair that lists at $300 and sells frequently online for around $100-140. I found a review of that specific pair at C|Net and they thought it was actually not bad. They actually have some lower priced ones that are in the $70 range online without the Groupon, but I don't know if those are as good....

6. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just to block out people while studying/reading :). I just want over the ear pairs of headphones because the in-ear ones tend to irritate me after a few hours.

Aw :(...lame! Any suggestions to a good pair of headphones/over the ear that are comfortable with good bass?

7. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

8. elpmas thread starter macrumors 68000

elpmas