Suggestion for SSD for a Late 2008 Unibody Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JavierDiaz4, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JavierDiaz4 macrumors member

Hi there guys, I've been so caught up in looking for the best SSD for my wife's macbook pro that I failed to realize that I may be bottlenecked by the limitations of the SATII on her laptop. I'm here asking myself why would I focus so much on read/write speeds that I may not be able to get through an SATII. I was considering the M550 or the OWC Mercury Electra 3G but now considering the limitations of the laptop, I may opt for a M500 or an MX100. Anyone think I should still get the OWC or can you suggest a great SSD for my current "antiquated" set up? Thanks.

2. rocknrotty macrumors member

Hello
    a little disclaimer " I am not or never have been employed or affiliated with OWC"

That being said i have been purchasing computer parts from them since the 80's. You can trust these people with your computer problems.

Just go to there site and plug in your machines ID # and go with there suggestions you will not be led wrong.

Or call there tech support line talk to them. There is actually "smart" people there to talk to.

Happy New Year

3. mneblett macrumors 6502

Save your money -- buy an SSD from someplace like NewEgg or MicroCenter and throw it in. Even with the SATA I limitation, my late '08 MBP felt like it was flying compared to the previous spinner with a (now middle-of the road, at best) Samsung 840.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would go with a Crucial MX100 series. Good prices and performance.

5. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

I like the Microcenter idea, I only live 10 minutes from one and the tax is 3.5%. Will go there and get a cable and an enclosure for the old drive. I was also thinking of the 840 / 850 because of the 10 year warranty on the Pros.

----------

You think I wont notice a difference between the MX100 and an M550 on my wife's laptop?

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, getting the M550 is not really worth it, given the SATA II bottleneck. Save some money and go with the MX100. It will be a lot faster than the stock HDD even at SATA II.

I have the MX100 (512 GB) and I am very pleased thus far on my late 2011 MBP. It can use SATA III. SATA II speeds will be lower for your wife. However, it will still be a big improvement for her.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100...420048269&sr=1-2&keywords=crucial+mx100+512gb

7. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Got it! Will do that then. Thanks for the suggestion~ Going after work to pick up the goodies.

8. JavierDiaz4 thread starter macrumors member

Ok guys, thanks again for your help. Ended up getting a 2.5mm enclosure along with a Crucial M550 512gb only because of the price I was able to get because of price tag mistake. It had a 179 dollar price tag so I jumped on it along with two other guys next to me when I noticed it. Installed it in less than an hour after Carbon Copy Cloner and i'm up and running. Getting 209 read and 264 write and I'm happy with that knowing the limitations of the SATII.

Thanks again!

9. BasicGreatGuy, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You got a great price. Glad you are happy with the Crucial.

Should you want to enable Trim, which helps keep the drive in good working order, you can use a product called "Trim Enabler," which you can find here. The product is free unless you want to get the pro version, and then it is $10.00.

The Crucial drives have built in garbage collection. They state that a casual user (email, internet surfing, watching videos etc.) shouldn't need to enable Trim, as the built in garbage collection should work well, provided that one doesn't fill up the drive, does not allow the hard drive to sleep, and gives the Mac plenty of idle time so that garbage collection can occur. Given that the term "casual user" is really subjective, and what i have read elsewhere states it really is needed, I went ahead and installed the pro version of Trim Enabler this evening, just to be on the safe side.

Here is a thread on the subject.

Another good post found here.

Edited to add: If you wish to check the write and read speed of your new drive, you can get a free app called Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.