Suggestion for the Multitasking Tool

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IamOnlyMe, Jun 22, 2010.

1. IamOnlyMe macrumors newbie

IamOnlyMe

Hi there, I'm new so apologies if I'm posting the wrong place.

I've had my 3GS for around a week and have been using the iOS 4 for a day now, but I don't really like the multitasking feature because now you have to go through a lot of hassle just to close an app down.
    My thought was that Apple should simply implement a small red cross on a corner, that pops up along with the task bar when double clicking on the Home button. That way you could chose to either close the application or just shift to another.

It this completely far our and why didn't Apple implement something similar? Perhaps I overlooked another easy way to close your apps than what I'm currently doing: Clicking Home, then double clicking Home then tap and hold and then taping the little cross?

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

once you close out it is closed. If its playing audio just pause the audio and close it down. No bid deal

3. IamOnlyMe thread starter macrumors newbie

IamOnlyMe

Does that mean that the app is not running even if its icon is shown in the task bar?

4. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

The whole point of the way Apple have implemented this is so you don't need to bother managing apps. Let the system manage it as intended.

You're not th first person on here to mention this; seriously people, there is no need to "kill" your apps.

When you switch apps or press the home button, apps are placed in a suspended state (or use one of the multitasking APIs to run voip, location or audio services in the background). If they have been recompiled using the latest SDK, they will resume exactly where you left off. Think of the task tray as nothing more than a means of fast switching between recent apps.

5. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

yes. Notice how the task bar just always shows the last apps you used

6. IamOnlyMe thread starter macrumors newbie

IamOnlyMe

Okay, cool. I guess I'll just not bother with killing apps then - hoping it won't hurt battery life too badly.
    Thx for the feedback.

7. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

They will be suspended although the system may kill the least recently used apps to free memory if needed.

8. IamOnlyMe thread starter macrumors newbie

IamOnlyMe

Awesome. Thank you to both of you for the response. I just changed from Nokia N95 and it takes a bit to getting used to the iOS system.