Suggestion for videochat software iPad2<->Vista laptop

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Daud, May 7, 2011.

1. Daud macrumors regular

Currently using Dell VideoChat between a macbook and Dell laptop.
    It is a branded Sightspeed product, but they do not offer a iOS version.

What are the options here ?

The Dell VideoChat often resets itself and it is a pain to call internationally and instruct the other party over the phone, how to restart again..

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. Daud thread starter macrumors regular

Bandwith

Is Skype still using surreptitiously your bandwidth even when not run but the computer is active and connected to internet ?

4. donnaw macrumors 65816

Skype will still use band width unless you close it. When my husband was overseas we used it all the time and it worked great. However we had a schedule of when he would call so I opened Skype before that.. If you leave it open so someone can call you any time it will use a small amount of bandwidth.

If you are worried about it just sign out and close the app completely. There is an option for it. I assume your Dell is running Windows. Skype will put itself in your startup apps and will start when you reboot. If you don't want that (I didn't) you must set it up to not load at startup. The easiest way to do this is via msconfig.

5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Skype.

You can shut it down when your done. Or, settings will allow the app to sign out automatically after a pre-selected period of time.

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Turn Off Notifications for Skype and any other App that you don't really need to be notified from. This would require Skype to be running in order to receive unexpected calls.

You could also try Whistle, just for audio. I tested it last year in South America and it worked great.

With Whistle, you get a real phone number to make and receive calls, for free. the only catch is that when you call someone, you'll have to listen a 30 second audio ad.

I would suggest you use any means to establish the initial contact, then decide to switch to any other app you want.