suggestion for where to hide passwords

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peewee12345, Aug 7, 2013.

1. peewee12345 macrumors member

I like to hide passwords on my computer..
    Ought I buy a hide your file app for extra protection, or?
    Thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've been very pleased with LastPass for managing passwords on Max and iOS devices.

3. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

I've never been convinced by "password manage/saver" apps they just don't seem secure, like anything they could be subject to an attack.

I personally save all my passwords in a password protected excel doc, saved "Cashflow" or something which doesn't scream out saved passwords.

4. mactumors macrumors 6502

Good thinking. I can't think of anything more secure than a password protected excel doc.

5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Tape a post it note to the bottom of the computer.

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Not sure if serious.

8. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Any advantage of using any of the 3rd party apps if it's built into OS X? Also can you have a separate password from Logging in and Keychain?

9. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

He was being sarcastic. There are programs you can download that remove the passwords from Excel sheets. It's an incredibly insecure way to store information. Putting all your passwords in there makes no more sense than writing them down on a piece of paper and taping it to your wall. I hope the poster who made the suggestion was also being sarcastic, but on that I'm less certain...

10. Mr Rabbit, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

I've never seen much of an advantage other than the tracking across multiple devices with offerings like 1password, and even that it changing with Mavericks / iOS7. Keychain has strong encryption (still haven't seen mention of it being cracked), secure notes, a password suggestion tool, etc.

The login password / keychain password sync is enabled by default but can be turned off in Keychain Access > Preferences > First Aid by deselecting synchronize login keychain with account, see attachment for reference. You can then change the keychain password to something stronger. Alternately you can leave the login keychain alone and create a new keychain, with a different password, to store sensitive info.

Attached Files:

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The after market options do offer some extra features, primarily the ability to sync passwords across devices, but if you just need something to generate and save passwords, Keychain works just fine.

OS X Mavericks will bring password sync to Keychain if that is important to you.

Yes, you can. Just go to Keychain prefs and tell it not to sync the login PW with Keychain, then change the Keychain PW to something different.

12. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

Create a very small encrypted .dmg, with a very unique pasword, using Disk Utility or Truecrypt, and then you can store all your passwords in there 99.9% secure.

You can get Trucrypt from here: http://www.truecrypt.org/ (FREE)

13. fabian43 macrumors member

14. priitv8 macrumors 68020

15. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Really?

We're relying less and less on our born-in super computers with the advancement of over priced notebook computers and apps. Which super computer is this you might ask? Good luck to everyone.

16. old-wiz macrumors G3

1Password is very secure. They even tell you that if you lose your master password they cannot break it for you.

I used to be able to remember my passwords, but with having to change them for security and needing to do more secure passwords I switched to 1Password. It will create passwords for you that are quite good.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

LastPass...'nuff said!

Wanna step outside and settle this in the schoolyard, Buddy!:mad:

:D ;)

18. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

A free option is to create a password-protected disk image on your Mac, and store your passwords there (I do so in a password-protected Excel file within the drive :p):

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1578?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The important thing is not to store the password in your keychain. keep it separate and away from your Mac.

The only problem with this is if you lose your password, or lose your Mac. Losing either will mean you lose your passwords for good. There's no built-in redundancy like 3rd party apps/remote servers offer.

19. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

True, but really in this day & age is it reasonable to expect everyone to remember every one of their passwords when security is preached so heavily?

"Use a unique 12 character password, with alpha, numeral and special characters where allowed, for every one of your (probably) 20+ logins and be sure to change them every few weeks"

Possible, yes. Reasonable without creating a huge headache, no. I'm of the mindset that, if guarded properly, password keeper applications help strengthen people's passwords since they don't have to remember several different nonsensical strings of characters.

20. mslide macrumors 6502a

1Password. There's no way I could remember 20+ secure passwords. Using a password manager with a very long/secure master password, for me at least, is much more secure than me trying to come up with 20+ less secure passwords that I'm capable of remembering.

The 1Password makers have a couple of good articles, on their website, about picking a master password and how lots of "secure" passwords we come up with aren't secure at all and are easily cracked. We're just not nearly as random/creative/unique as we like to think we are.

21. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Uh I think the paper on the wall solution is much more secure - at least the average cyber criminal that breaks into your machine won't be able to get the passwords.

Of course it might be different if you live in a dorm or have "friends" that like messing with each others facebook accounts.

22. outphase macrumors 65816

xkcd has a comic about it too: http://xkcd.com/936/

23. JeroenJK macrumors newbie

.rtf or .txt file in a password protected .dmg.

24. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Use the same password but in different configurations/arrangement of caps and numbers. Remember how we all used to learn the multiplication tables and periodic table in like the 3rd grade? Do that with your mind in regards to passwords.

PLSU: The thing is, the more you use it the more it sticks inside you. Right? It should, or something is wrong or 'yall too distracted.

Hope this helped!

25. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I have 375 different records in 1Password. My 1Password is VERY complex... yet I have learned to type it quite fast. My fingers just fly automatically.

A typical record would be something like:

Password: fmck6UqkCJrNEfE!xw_3DtgV

Security Questions:
    • Mothers maiden name: 3qBc'8dIbVgz
    • Favorite pet: i60y|zcPjiRL
    • First elementary school:GzJ=C7Pzz8dw
    • Date of birth - some made up date... different every time.

The value of a good password program is the automation of using the passwords. Who wants to go digging through some vault, manually trying to find the right entry, cut/paste it into a field, etc. A program like 1Password does this automatically in normal use... and keeps everything locked up and secure.

My understanding is that 1Password does not actually have any encryption code in it at all. Instead, it relies on the encryption APIs provided by the operating system. what 1Password (or equivalent) does... is make it easy to use.

Personally... I think anyone who does not use auto-generated, complex and unique single-use passwords is flipp'n nuts. Deciding on which program to use is a matter of convenience.

/Jim