Suggestion: Gender Identifiers

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by abijnk, Feb 18, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't know if this has been proposed on here or not, but another forum I go to for advice for my pets uses these nifty little gender identifiers next to your user name. That way, you can see if someone is female or male and respond accordingly. I know a good majority of the users on here are male, so it might be nice to set aside the females. You can see what I am talking about in my post here (the little figure next to the user name).
    I really don't remember if you have to specify your gender when you register here, but I thought it was a pretty neat feature here and might come in handy.

Just a thought!

Thanks!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, and can we have those annoying animated gifs in sigs? :rolleyes:

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Only if you drop your pants again and again and again and again and again and..

5. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Every freaking avatar option on that forum is animated!!!! Its really annoying...

I did a quick search, but didn't put much effort into it. Thanks for the link SilentPanda

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I have all the avatars turned off... so I don't even annoy myself... well at least I don't annoy myself with my avatar. side note: I want to change my avatar but every time I do I get yelled at by somebody.

I just searched for Gender in the Site and Forum Feedback forum. Brought it up right away. Then again I guess I knew it was there because I can't... leave... ever. Except for a month or two vacation now and again. :D

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This thread is making me dizzy..:p

Problem with gender on the intertubes is people can lie easily and do.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Note: Demis get the choice of a few handle such as Demi-God, Demi-Goddess, Contributer. So you could change yours so that you are identified properly.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Oh and we could change the titles to things like "macrumors 68040ess". :D

10. 119576 Guest

I think we prefer our members to be hit on equally. Gender identifiers would severely hinder this ideal.

11. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Ha, yeah, well, I actually contributed right after I posted this thread, and I still haven't figured out how to change that... :eek:

I guess my ideas on this were a little more innocent and not very well thought out. Thanks for humoring me anyways. :)

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You haven't been able to figure it out because it's not an option you can change. ;)

But you can PM an Administrator with your request and they should be able to help you out.

13. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yep yep yep, I am now headed off in the right direction. Thanks guys (or girls :eek:)!

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

http://xkcd.com/322/

It's true.

Which is why I don't think we should have gender.

Also, gender is a broad spectrum but we only get two choices? What's up with that? We need a cis/transgendered button. :)

15. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I completely agree. I had to turn off avatars completely a few months ago just to be able to keep coming around here. It's a shame because avatars really are a good way to be able to identify people you see on a regular basis. I would appreciate having an option to turn off animated avatars but keep static avatars. Anyone else feel the same way?

16. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, when I read the thread SilentPanda put up I realized it was a stupid idea. My bad, perhaps I should just put Macrumors Demi-idiot on there ;)

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Nah I wouldn't worry about it. At least you've been outed and you won't surprise anybody anymore. It's the ones we aren't aware of yet that are disconcerting.

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We considered updating the forum rules to cover this, e.g.,
    Forum rules: You may not insult other members or post spam and SilentPanda may not change his avatar.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

or her >.> <.<

:(

It's his. :(

Which is good for you, ladies.

*goes back to crying alone in front of his computer*

20. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Why don't we get rid of user names? That way everything we post will be completely anonymous. You'll never know who made the witty reply, or was consistently able to help with problems, or where they were from, or whether they were male or female unless they wanted you to.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Heh. For so many reasons, including a political one, I don't think that's such a great idea, you know?

To the OP: About 15% of the forum's participants are female. Some women want to be known as women on this board for good reasons, some women don't... also for very good reasons. I feel that everyone should have the choice to make their own disclosure as to their own status, and as others have mentioned you can do that by contributing and acquiring the demi-goddess tag, or you could something in your sig...

As one of two women moderators here at MR, and speaking solely for myself, I'm particularly interested in ensuring that the board is a place where women, as the minority, feel comfortable.

22. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Maybe for members who don't like moving avatars it would be possible to set an option to just display the first frame.

Though as usual I'm probably just asking the mods to do more work :eek:.

When that link loaded XKCD I thought you were going to post to the latest comic:

http://xkcd.com/385/

Which is also about sexism.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That XKCD comic reminds me of an experiment that Newsweek reported, about Asian girls taking a math test. If I remember the report correctly, they found the folloiwng: If the girls were asked for their sex at the start of the test, it reminded them of the stereotype about girls and math, and they apparently got more nervous and did less well on the test. But if they were asked their race, it reminded them of the stereotype about Asians and math, and they apparently got more confident and did better on the test.

My conclusion is that asking forum members for their personal information will cause their post quality to change!

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

OT

(I'm being bad... sowwie!) But if you don't like animated 'tars, you can do what I do-- use Camino and set it in preferences to only show animations once. :)