Suggestion: minimum post count before links are allowed in a sig

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by robbieduncan, Aug 13, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've seen quite a few newbie posters posting irrelevant content to thread which has no apparent purpose, other than getting the link(s) in their signature onto a high-traffic site like this one. For example the posts by this user.

To prevent this I'd suggest a minimum post count before links can be added to signatures. Say 100 posts or something like that?

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's not a bad idea. :) A lot of "subtle" spam is done that way - a relatively harmless but mostly pointless post with a dubious signature link. I'd say maybe more like ~30 posts may suffice though, not everyone can maintain such posting proclivities.

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I support this motion.
    However, it might lead to spamming just to unlock "Sig Link" privelages.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would like this as it would also prevent newbies from coming here with an eBay auction link in their sig.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like the idea and 100 posts seems reasonable.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not familiar enough with vBulletin to know how easily this could be implemented, but I would not be opposed. I don't know how much of an issue it is, but if it helps to reduce irrelevant posting, then I support it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd support that idea... It seems like it's been getting more prevalent lately, but in a subtle way. Almost like how a cellphone is branded with a carrier's logo- just enough to be noticeable.

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

IIRC, it's not that hard to implement it.

Ah, back in the day when I was a mod (Of another site of course, not here)

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Hey, robbie. That link doesn't seem to be working.

10. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you do find this you should use the report post function!

Don't link to the search results with the search id because those expire too. Go to their profile and copy the link from there.

(Is it this guy?)

11. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I link to my sites to boost google rankings, but I try to make it inconspicuous with small type/no colors, etc...

But I think a 50 or 100 post requirement would be a good idea.

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

MR uses nofollow BTW.

I do like using in my sig

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Just throwing this out there, what if there were a post count requirement for signatures, period? That way, the only way to advertise would be through spamming, which can be easily reported, and the context of your posts.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Hmm....you know what's going to happen if you have a post count for signatures? You penalize those who don't spam, and the spammers are just going to write as many posts as they can think of to get to the limit. So, you get a whole bunch more needless posts than we would normally have. Just sayin'.

15. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

16. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If there was something like you had to be a member for 1 month and have 30 posts (like the marketplace) then that could help curve the spamming. That is only 1 post per day.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That would be better....i.e., having a time limit and not just having a post count limit.

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I recently joined another forum (gasp!) and you are not allowed to post links in your posts until you have made 5 posts. It was somewhat frustrating but I got past the 5th post and all was well. 5 posts doesn't seem like a lot but it's a forum I'll probably read much more than post. I imagine it'll take me much longer than a month to get anywhere near 30. Most people that had the same frustration simply posted things like "www. somepage .com" or whatever.

Usually if somebody is blatantly spamming they are cleaned up shortly after they are reported. From a moderation standpoint it's almost better to have the spam link in the signature instead of the post because people are less likely to quote the signature. If we remove all the posts of a user and the link is only in their signature then we can generally be sure that the link has not been quoted and we don't need to do additional cleanup. If the link is in the post though then we need to go through posts made after theirs to make sure nobody quoted the link either.

19. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If you just have a time limit and no post count limit though you would have someone make a account then leave 6 months then come back again

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's not what I said. I said a time limit and not just a post count (i.e, a time limit and a post count....that's how I read it...:)).

21. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i have mixed feeling about that notion.

i dont find these links to be too much in the way to really bother me. If anything, I might even click on random links (if i have the time) just to see what they are selling or are about or are promoting.

i would agree with limiting the size of links to say a minimal font size or something.

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This would be a good idea. It seems quite a few start threads for no apparent reason. Also, when making a new account, the absolute first thing I would do, would not be to make an elaborate sig advertising my other website.

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is a reasonable idea and I think it's technically possible.

One concern: It may hurt the iPhone and iPod touch application developers who announce products in the App Store forum, since they often include their links in a signature for the benefit of potential users of their apps.

So, as is often the case, there's a tradeoff involved.

One thing is for certain: If a member is posting only to spread their signature links around the forums, they should be reported to the moderators since that's against forum rules.

24. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

The OP could always turn signatures off in the USER CP "Thread Display Options" within their profile. I have avatars and signatures turned off so the problem doesn't impact me.

How many other forum members are the same? If 75% of them have signatures turned off, then I don't see it being that much of an issue.

25. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably because I reported the guy for sig-link-spam and they've been removed :)