Suggestion needed, ViaVoice or other?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AzMacNoob, Jul 3, 2007.

1. AzMacNoob macrumors newbie

Ages ago I used to use IBM's ViaVoice for several things. I haven't used a Mac again for about 8 years and am now back on a Mac. What is currently a good program that can do what it did or better. Is ViaVoice still my only option?

2. terrordemon macrumors member

what were those several things? what are your needs now?

3. hogmog macrumors member

As far as I am aware, ViaVoice has not been updated for several years now. You could try iListen from MacSpeech which seems to be regularly updated - see:

http://www.macspeech.com/

Alternatively if you are using an Intel Mac and running Windows you could use Dragon Naturally Speaking. There are numerous versions of this - see:

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/

Both iListen and Dragon will work with a number of digital audio recorders if you like to dictate text on the move. I personally use Dragon 9 on my 'old' Windows machine and am really impressed with it. Can't comment on the ability of iListen which unfortunately suffers from the £1 = $1 syndrome in the UK so it was more cost effective for me to buy Dragon. Maybe others can comment iListen's ability.

4. emseals macrumors newbie

I really like Dragon Naturally Speaking, great program.

5. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

if u have an intel mac, get dragon naturally speaking. any other voice rec program is pez compared to this product.

get parallels, install xp and then dragon. make sure u have a good quality headset.

run xp in coherence mode and then just cut and paste between the dragon word pad and the osx app you want to dictate into.

one of my mates does it this way - works like a charm.;)

aussie_geek