Suggestion on improving inserted images

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Hellhammer, May 26, 2011.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Last forum upgrade brought us the [​IMG] button, the default tag is . While adding the T in front of that tag is not a big deal, there is a great number of people who don't know that the TIMG tag even exists. I would say very few people are aware of the TIMG function.

As most of you probably know, when you insert a big image using the regular IMG tags, it will be inserted in its whole size. That means even a 2048x1152 picture for instance will be displayed in its full resolution. The forum layout is not designed for pictures that big so it breaks the page layout and in some cases, the actual picture is hard to view because it's too big to fit in your browser window.

I would suggest making the TIMG tag the default image tag so when you click the [IMG]http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/editor/insertimage.gif button, it inserts TIMG instead of IMG. That would make it very simple for everyone to adopt TIMG as inserting images would be exactly the same as before.

If that is not possible, my other suggestion would be to add a separate TIMG button to the post editing toolbar. While that might not solve the issue of oversize images, it would make it easier for us, regulars, to insert huge pictures using the TIMG tag. To be honest, it's not much of a pleasure to add those Ts when inserting multiple images.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Short reply as I am currently travelling.

Timg as the default is not an option as it scales everything to 300px wide, so if the image is smaller it will blow it up.

Having another button is probably doable however we would hve to work out the details so that it obvious to newer users what it does. Again doable, don't take this as it will get done but just a note on your proposal. We will have to consider it.