Suggestion on purchasing the New MacBook,White, 13" w/ Standard Settings

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ShowMetheMac, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ShowMetheMac macrumors newbie

Hi, Nice to meet you all

I am new to the forum and within the next few weeks, I will be getting my first Mac.

I am sick and tired of Windows so I plan to try Mac out.

I have a few things I want to make sure though before I purchase one:

1. I graduated from college last year, so I would not be able to get the educational discount. My friends tell me that get a friend that is still in college and buy it for you, and I could still register the computer myself.

2. They also said buy the Applecare on ebay or Amazon, and also the mac box set.

Are both 1 & 2 risky?

Thanks.

-ShowMetheMac

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1) Completely do-able. Heck, if you still have your ID card you can buy it with that at your local Apple store =X

2) Plenty of people buy AppleCare from eBay. Just find a seller with really good feedback/rating. As far as the "box set," I'm guessing you mean iWork? The computer will have OS X and iLife pre-installed. I'd get iWork from Amazon if you want it, seeing how they have it for $55 with no tax/shipping instead of $79. Amazon also has Applecare for the macbook for $180 instead of the $250 retail.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

1.) I received an education discount recently and I graduated in 1982.

2.) Yes, get AppleCare from ebay in a sealed box. (Remember, you have 12 months from your date of purchase to buy it so no rush).

4. She macrumors member

1. You could try buying it yourself with your old student ID card (assuming there isnt an expiry date)

2. If you buy iWork now through Apple at the same time you purchase your computer you can get $30 off meaning it'll only cost you $49 (offer ends July 20).

I also suggest buying Applecare directly from them too because you get $66 off for the education discount making it $183