Suggestion on setting up Plex on mac....

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Feb 6, 2017.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

I finally got my iTunes library moved and a mini with OSX server on it. The mini with OSX server logs in with a user with limited privileges I created just to run iTunes and printopia.

My next step is to install Plex on this machine to have it stay on 24/7 and stream my iTunes Library. iTunes will just be to synch the IOS devices.

Any suggestions on the best way to setup plex for this?

2. Casey Royals macrumors newbie

Casey Royals

The default set up should work fine for you, it's a pretty clever system, if you have network folders or external disk drives with files for the library make sure they load automatically at startup. If you've got all your media (videos, movies etc) files names and metadata conforming to Plex's recommendations it should be a pain free experience for you.

3. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, whats the default setup....

If I have multiple users (me and the startup user), so do I install it for each user?

Or do i just pick the dummy user I setup for startup purposes and install it with that user?

I guess the user thing is the thing i wasn't sure about.

4. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Unsure of the question. Why do you have separate users setup? To ensure Plex works all the time, install it for all users, simply point it to your Movies, TV Shows, and Music iTunes folders and let it do its thing.

Then if you also want access outside the local network, just click on that option. It should be pretty straightforward. Plex is especially good if you've got an organised and well kept iTunes library, because it is sooo simple to get up and running.