Suggestion on SSD for MBP 17" 2010 please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peterpan123, Jan 12, 2016.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I have decided to upgrade from HD to SSD. What specifications (e.g. physical size, screw holes, interface, etc.) should I look for? Any recommended products? Thanks.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

For this computer, is there a limitation on the max GB it could handle? Should I get SATA 6 or 3?

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

2.5" SATA - the procedure for swapping the disc drive is actually given in the Apple User Guide - in 2010 it was a user-replaceable part.

I believe the interface in the 2010 MBP is SATA II only so although SATA III will work, you won't get the full SATA III 6Gb/s speed. Most (all?) 2.5" SSDs on sale now are SATA III so this isn't a big deal, but its probably not worth paying a premium to get the one with the best benchmarks. Anyway, in general use, peak transfer speed is mainly for bragging rights - a lot of the speed-up with SSDs comes from the "seek time" when accessing lots of small files and any SSD will smoke a HD in that department.

Remember to install TRIM Enabler (or enable TRIM from the command line) and ignore the "our disks don't need TRIM because they have superduper-garbage-collection-plus" nonsense. Even if Superduper-garbage-collection-plus is a good thing, without TRIM it can't recognise garbage until the OS actually tries to re-use that space.

5. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you mean install https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/ ?
    For the free way, how to enable TRIM from the command line safely?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The best bang for your buck with the performance limitations on that machine is probably the BX100 series from crucial.

7. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

In El Capitan?

sudo trimforce enable​

That will do it with no extra software.

8. theluggage macrumors 68030

See shadowbird423's response.

No, you don't need Trim Enabler any more, but it gives you a a nice GUI and will warn you if TRIM gets turned off by an OS update. I think the basic functionality is free and it only nags when you actually run the utility. $10 gets you some bells & whistles.

9. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have one of these with a Sandisk 480GB SSD in it and the machine flies. Does a lot to increase battery life as well.

MacDann

10. hajime, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016

hajime macrumors 68030

Thanks. I shall go for the Samsung SSD as the Crucial ones are out of stock.

My MBP has an internal 500GB HD (installed both Mac and Windows OS). It is almost used up. My rMBP has about 750GB about 60% used.. I plan to move data from both computer to the new SSD. In this case, is it better to get a SSD of 2TB rather than 1TB? At 1TB or above, will I see noticeable increase in performance if I go for the PRO rather than the EVO? I probably use the MBP 17" with the upgrade SSD until a new rMBP comes up hopefully in March. I prefer 16GB rather than 8GB which is the max of the MBP 17".

What other items do I need to replace the HD of my MBP with the SSD? I suppose I need some special screw driver to open the laptop and also before doing the replacement, need to buy some interface to connect the SSD to the MBP for moving the files. Any suggested products?

11. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I can't comment relative to the SSD size, as you'll have to determine what's best for you. SSDs of the sizes you suggest are still quite expensive, so you may consider cleaning out your files or possibly moving some of them to an external drive.

You should only need a small phillips head screwdriver, also known as a "jeweler's" screwdriver for the case screws, and a T6 driver for the hard drive screws. The SSD will plug into the same connector as the hard drive you are replacing, so no cables or adapters are required.

You can look on a do it yourself web site such as iFixit.com for a visual guide on how to replace the hard drive. if you take your time and work carefully, it's a very simple job.

As for moving your data from the MacBook to the SSD, you can purchase an external drive case from any number of vendors, such as OWC (macsales.com) that would allow you to use USB. Understand that the volume of data you mention will take some time to transfer.

Good luck!

MacDann

12. pjfan macrumors regular

Due to the age of your MBP, you will not notice performance difference between SSDs. Go with the cheaper SSD in the size you want.

If you're confident you can shrink your 750 GB to 500 GB, then a TB drive ought to serve you well for awhile. If you can't shrink to 500, I'd recommend going higher than 1 TB.

13. hajime macrumors 68030

To complete the operation, besides the SSD, I need to buy: normal small Phillips Screwdriver, Tori T6 screwdriver. To clone the HD to SSD, I also need: usb 2 (since my MBP 17" only has usb2) to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable as well as 2.5 to 3.5 inches internal hard drive mounting kit. Am I right?

I have Windows installed under the Bootcamp partition. What is the best way to clone both the Windows and Mac OS partition? I guess one way could be to use Windclone to clone the Windows partition and save the file to Mac OS desktop. Then, clone the system on MAC to the SSD connected externally. After installing the SSD, create a Bootcamp partition and then use Winclone to recover the Windows partition. Will that work? Is there a better way?

14. hajime macrumors 68030

Thanks. At which stage should I do this?

15. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

After you've installed the SSD in the machine and have El Captian running.

16. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

For those with a Bootcamp Winodws partition installed on the same SSD, is there a need to enable trim under Windows as well after enabling trim in El Capitan?

17. shadowbird423 macrumors regular

shadowbird423

No, Windows automatically enables trim once it sees you're using an SSD.