suggestion please: how do you organize your music folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phoutasen, Oct 27, 2008.

1. phoutasen macrumors newbie

just converted from xp to osx. just wondering how i would go about organizing my music folder on osx. should i just dump everything into one music folder and just handle my music from itunes? also how do your folders set up for upcoming music files coming from bitorrent, limewire, ect?

just wanna hear what works for you more seasoned mac users, any suggestion is much appreciated. thanks.

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

I just switched, literally..on Saturday!!!! (well my girlfriend has a nice DELL XPS desktop right next to my MBP:) ) and right now i use primarily Itunes. I used to use winamp, but i really like what they have done with iTunes. Plus i feel lik e it is anti apple NOT to use iTunes with an apple:)

What i do, is i just create a new playlist for each artist, if i have more than a few songs by that artist. For example, i have a few Jeezy albums, so i made a playlist for Jeezy. Sure, i have a lot of play lists, but ist is WAY easier when i am syncing my iPhone up to it and dont have time to wait or look through all the music to find a song or whatnot.

What mac did you get? They are great, aren't they.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I let the system decide how to organize things; I just point iTunes to the current location and Import. I quit worrying about managing that stuff.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just let iTunes do it, same with photos - iPhoto will handle it all.

5. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

SUGGESTION!

Ok so I have had multiple experiences in changing of music through operating systems and a multitude of different locations. The best way IMO would be to simply take your music put it all in one folder drag and drop it into your iTunes. By doing this your letting iTunes import & organize your music for you. It will put your music into separate folders including all of the artwork and notes included. In the long run this will make it easier if you ever need to transfer your music again.

Hopefully this answered your question.

6. phoutasen thread starter macrumors newbie

i got the new 2.4 macbook. this thing is a beaut!

but yea i think imma just throw everything into one folder and do everything from itunes. i already used itunes before on xp but i still had my music folder with a folder inside for each artist.

Johnnotbeatle...how do you folders set up for torrent/limewire downloads ?

7. jimleszczynski macrumors regular

jimleszczynski

LimeWire:

LimeWire has a preference you can enable that will auto-import anything you download to iTunes. I strongly recommend it.

8. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Most imported cds and mp3s go straight into the iTunes library on mine.

Some video captures go into a separate named folder until I decide what to do with them, as do the initial .aiff and .wav files from both Garageband and Final Vinyl. Some of these are in a QuickTime folder.

9. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

On windows, I used to hold ALL my music in one folder, naming each file "Artist - Song.mp3"

I stopped that once I got on a mac, I import everything into iTunes, and let iTunes organize everything. iTunes automatically places everything in "Artist/Album/track # - song.mp3" fashion, so locating songs is no problem.

It gets the info from the ID tags written to the files, which all display in iTunes and can be edited as easily as re-naming a file in a folder. I used to have to open them in winamp, then right click and go into the editor one at a time, which sucked especially for large amounts of files.

I do it all in iTunes now, even on Pc.

I make playlists for different Genres, and place a "z_" prefix to them so they are moved to the bottom of the list. I then make exclusive playlists with just favorites, and place a "_" prefix on them. These playlists appear first on the list.

At the very top of the list I have a usually blank playlist that I named "___". This playlist is where I import music or files that I'm sent. I also place purchased items here to listen to, and then move either to general or exclusive playlists, or just delete them if I don't like the songs. I also use this to sort through songs from a specific artist at a time, and find out which songs I like best. (then move those select ones to exclusive playlists)

10. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Important thing to realize is that on default iTunes copies your imported music to its own folder which is not ment to be modified outside itunes. You can then remove the original files after import, so you dont have duplicates on your disk.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I don't do torrents, but I'd handle it like any other d/l. They typically will drop in the ~/Downloads folder, or wherever else the app places them at your choosing. From there, just import as if it were a CD, etc. After import, just delete or archive the original file.

Once they're imported, there's no need for the original file - it's in the iTunes library now. Just like not needing the CD in the slot to play a song. That's why "organizing" anything is more a pain than it's worth.

12. Akilah727 macrumors newbie

archive?

13. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

itunes does it for you. you may need to do to the Preferences, but it does it for you. organizes them by folders in the Music folder if you ever need to go in there manually.

14. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Remove to a permanent storage medium/device. As in, not keeping it on the hard drive, but burning all these original files back to CD/DVD so they don't take up room now that they're safely imported into the iTunes library.