Suggestion: Retina Avatars

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by MICHAELSD, Jun 20, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I feel like this should be an imminent update but may come later than it should. The 75x75 avatars look awful, especially on a Retina Display. We should at least be allowed 300x300 minimum.

I'll keep the suggestion post concise... Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Those will probably come once the forums get a redesign.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I do not recall but I believe phpBB offers an option to adjust avatar resolution so this could be changed within a few minutes technically.

4. jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Not sure what PhpBB has to do with macrumors forums which are a customized (old) vbulletin?

But yeah - I do agree - they should definitely look into adding this.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Whoops, had a feeling I got the forum system incorrect but I'm 80% sure vBulletin has a quick setting to change max avatar resolution.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The problem would probably be storage and loading all of those hi-res avatars...

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

With a 500 post minimum for avatars this shouldn't be much of a concern. Avatars are usually pretty well-compressed anyway.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ask the mods then... I was just throwing out a good reason.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think any of mine look awful, but I approve an update from 75x75 to 37x37 resolution avatars. :p

10. Yvan256, Jun 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

Yvan256 macrumors 601

The reason normal resolution images look awful on Hi-DPI displays is because companies made the wrong decision about how to handle them.

They're resampling the regular images (bilinear/bicubic/etc) instead of resizing them (nearest neighbor).

I know a lot of people are going to say that nearest-neighbor interpolation is no good, however we are speaking about a single, fixed case here: making low-resolution images bigger at a perfect multiple of 2.

This is what's happening and why Apple and everyone else are right when displaying Retina images on regular displays and wrong when displaying normal images on Retina displays.

I used the MacRumors logo since Arn has done a good job with his Retina logo (500x142 pixels PNG displayed at 250x71 pixels).

[​IMG]

Attached Files: