Suggestion: sub-moderator, cleanup crew if you will

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by sammich, Dec 17, 2010.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I'm probably more towards the anal direction of wanting to keep things neat around these parts, and I know that sometimes that mods don't get around to the more mundane tasks like post merging and general forum sanitation.

So I'm wondering if you can create a new level of member that would only enable a small set of currently mod-only duties to ease their workload and let the mods get down to the nitty gritty of weeding out poor posts.

Another idea which this would complement is the removal of spam posts/posters. I know I've reported a few cases and most of the time the thread is still there and open many hours later. So I'm proposing that the new sub-mods be able to mark/vote posts/threads as spam. Perhaps these will be more prominently displayed for the mods for quick removal, or even if enough votes are collected (above a threshold) it will be insta-wastelanded, without involving the mods.

Just some thoughts :)

(I had some more ideas but they got lost as I was writing this post, doh)

Addendum: yeah, this is in part a sneaky way to get myself onto the MR team, if I can't be a mod :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Like most other suggestions, this has been suggested (many times) before. Since it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't. In my experience, posts that clearly need to be merged or deleted are taken care of if it's reported. Perhaps you should report more posts.

3. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

I guessed it might have been, just couldn't find the threads on them. But in any case, maybe I could get a word out of the gods about this (again)?

I'll be reporting more now.

4. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

do mods get made or do they just spend there whole life in there basement living off there parents money? well either way thank god we have people like this that tell us and help us with everything!

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Suggestions like these are welcome but I don't think these ideas would be practical. I'm not simply being negative. We've evaluated these or similar ideas before. We even tried using a mini-moderator for a while and changed our minds.

That's incorrect. They do all such tasks when there's a reported problem.

This would add lots of management and coordination overhead and leave a mixture of responsibilities that would leave gaps in the work. For example, suppose we had extra volunteers in charge of removing poor posts. How do they know which to remove? They'd have to learn all the methods and policies of the moderators, in other words become fully qualified to be moderators. For any borderline case they'd have to consult with the other moderators anyway, since the mods work as a team. Nobody volunteers for 24 hours a day so we'd need a few volunteers for each type of role we invent. If they happen to be online and other moderators are not, yet they weren't allowed to be full moderators, they'd have to leave a problem in the forums while waiting for other moderators to be around, which means that some of the full moderators would still have to be on duty at any given time.

If the thread is still there now, that means the moderators didn't agree with you, or simply gave the user a warning, not that they didn't take care of your report. For cases where they did agree with you and removed or closed the thread, the response time has been better recently than in the past.

If they can only flag posts, not do anything about them, how are they different than those who report posts? A majority of post reports are accurate and specific, so the moderators already have what they need. vBulletin doesn't have a threshold-of-reports feature.

The best way to help continues to be submitting post reports based on the current rules. If you think one of your reports was overlooked, send me the details privately. That's very rare but I'll be glad to take a look.

See also: How moderators are selected.

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I don't want this. If the mods had more time to weed out poor posts, I'd still be a 6502.

7. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

ahh, optimistic aren't we?

8. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Always! Optimism is all I have.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well if this is enacted then there goes 50% of me and miles01110's posts! :p