Suggestion: Tags (hear me out...you'll like it...)

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by rmwebs, Jul 9, 2010.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Ok,

I dont know if you've seen what places such as TUAW have done but basically, to help lower the rants/arguments between Mac and 'iToy' fans, they have added tags.

Basically my idea is that if we were to navigate to macrumors.com/no-iphone/ you would stop seeing iphone related posts, /no-ipad/ and you stop seeing ipad news, etc.

This would work very simply for any topic:

/no-mac/
    /no-notebooks/ (stops all 'laptop' related posts)
    /no-software/
    /no-apps/
    etc

There is no downside to this. I'm an experienced web developer and know that there is no evident reason that this cant be done. I personally feel it would not only help people only interested in certain products, but it would also help for people looking for info on a particular device.

You could also have others to show news ONLY about a specific product:

/only-iphone/ (or /iphone-news/) etc

The hardest part is implementing tagging on older posts. However I'm under the assumption that you do categorize posts anyway, so a quick php modifier script would sort that out.

Feedback and suggestions on this are welcome :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can already ignore the forums you don't like, for example iPhone forum. You can also exclude the forums from Forum Spy if you want to. Just because someone mentions iPhone in the thread doesn't mean that it has anything to do with iPhone thus with your suggestion, it would exclude that as well, even though the thread would be what you're looking for. In addition, you can see news for specific product in Buyer's Guide

I didn't get the idea that well, maybe you could add little more?

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

rmwebs is talking about the front page which currently has no separation of subjects, so if you literally do not care about the iPhone you can go to a front page which has no articles about the iPhone etc.

Essentially like your suggestion here, but better.

It is a sound suggestion and I feel would make a good addition to the site.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ahh, so OP only meant news, not forums, now I got it! :) Tags or filters would be awesome so you could more easily browse the news you are interested, especially now that there is like 10 pieces of news posted about iToys everyday so a real piece of news about Macs can easily be buried due the flood of news.

5. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Sorry - should have made that more clear - yes, I meant the site news. If people done like a subject area on the forum, they just don't go there.

6. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040