suggestion: time capsule or external/router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by veeco3110, Jun 19, 2008.

1. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

well I bit the bullet and bought a time capsule.sitting in the car at the moment. Havent touched it yet.kinda have second thoughts on it due to the negative-ish reviews ive been reading on the forums. Ive read its slow and complicated to set up. WELL my question to you guys is...

Should I return my time capsule and get a airport extreme and attach my current noisey mybook 500 gig external to it? Or just keep my 500 gig time capsule.

Main reason for my purchase is because running te machine erases all info on the external. And my current router is a netgear 802.11b router which is starting to give me range issues now.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance everyone.

((written ony iphone so any spelling errors arent intended))

2. reifiedbeans macrumors newbie

I'm making the same decision, and I've decided to keep my MyBook 320 and get the 500 gb time capsule. I'll use the MyBook to archive Time Machine to and keep it in the car or in my safe deposit box. That way I'll always have an offsite backup.

The other factor is that I hate manually unmounting the My Book every time I move my MBP, often a couple of times a day.

It will certainly be slower, but the hourly backups still don't take long.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

The first backup is always the worst, especially over WiFi.

4. Thorbjorn macrumors regular

I had no trouble whatever setting up and using Time Capsule with my new iMac. Key is to do the initial copy through ethernet not wifi (for speed). The TC has worked like a champ ever since, both as router and as hard drive. If I'm not producing lots of vital work in a day, I sometimes choose to switch off the hourly automatic Time Machine backups and back up manually, to (in theory) save on electricity and daily wear and tear. That may be a silly strategy, but that's how I'm currently operating. (My old iBook doesn't have Time Machine, but likes the TC as router.)