Suggestion: Upgrade MacPro 1,1 or Buy new one

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sachinwalia, Mar 3, 2011.

  1. sachinwalia macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #1
    I've a MacPro 1,1 (2.66 GHz) I bought used for $1000 a year back. I am planning to upgrade this computer - Upgrade the CPU to 3 GHz or buy a new base model (This is only single CPU though with no upgrade possible to dual CPU). Which option do you guys suggest. Thanks for the advise.
     
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #2
    It actually is a dual CPU model, as all of the originals were. It uses two dual-core processors, which I believe are upgradeable to two quads. There are a couple threads here about that. If you can find a way to do that for a reasonable price, that's what I'd go for.
     
  3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

    Angelo95210

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Paris, France
  4. sachinwalia thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #4
    Mainly video post production.
     
  5. sachinwalia thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #5
    Actually the base model is indeed single cpu as described here: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html and here http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/MC560LL/A?mco=MTg2OTUwMjQ

    Is this the same model you were talking about?
     
  6. alust2013 macrumors 601

    alust2013

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Location:
    On the fence
    #6
  7. Daud macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2008
    #7
    I made the upgrade to 3.0 GHz by myself following the advice from this board and the Geekbench score is now 6200. It is possibly good enough for my iMovie needs but I also got one of the last closeout 2009 model 2.66 Quads for $1800 which still sits in unopened box as I can't decide which one to keep.

    I would say do the 3Ghz upgrade, install a SSD main drive and judge for yourself whether you can still live with your 1,1 model.
     
  8. Angelo95210, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

    Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

    Angelo95210

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Paris, France
    #8
    OK and what software? FCP, CS5, Avid? What codec are you working with? h264 or Prores?

    If you are working with the Prores codec and FCP 7, I think you can continue using your existing machine. Gain with a new mac would be mostly on rendering time. Up to you to decide how important it is for you. Consider as well the power required by Motion and Color.

    However, with a new Mac Pro you could think about working natively with the h264 codec (which is a controversial workflow) and get the benefit of 64 bits and multicore. This with Adobe Premiere CS5 because FCP doesn't take full benefit of the new Mac Pro power.

    And if you use FCP you should maybe wait a bit, there are rumors of a new version of FCP upcoming. It will probably help for your decision.
     
  9. Dadioh macrumors 65816

    Dadioh

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    Canada Eh?
    #9
    If the rendering can take advantage of multiple cores then if you are going to upgrade the processors you may as well get quad cores. Any of the xeon clovertown's will work (e53xx). The x5365 are the best available but insanely expensive and you may as well get a new Mac pro rather than that upgrade. However, the e5345 can be found for less than $300 for a pair and x5355 for around the $400 mark for a pair (on eBay).

    If however your applications care more about raw clock speed and not multiple cores then the 3.0ghz dual cores can be found pretty cheap (e5160?).
     

Share This Page