Suggestions for 1st Gen iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Resist, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Before I got an iPhone 3G, I had the 1st Gen 8GB iPod Touch. Recently I pulled it out and started messing around with it. It wouldn't play some of the apps I have on my iPhone, because is doesn't have the latest OS and I am to cheap to spend the $5 to update it.

Not sure what to do with, as I really don't use it anymore but it's still good for storing music, video and Wifi apps like AIM. The back has normal scratching, but the front glass is perfect. I never did put a case on it.

I guess I could sell it but I am sure it probably wouldn't go for much. Or I could just give it to a relative's kid. The touch screen form factor is still pretty cool.

Decisions, decisions....and I still have a 1st Gen 30GB Zune I am trying to figure out what to do with.

2. gheat93 macrumors member

I think I'm in a similar situation as you. I've got a first generation iPod Touch, but will probably get an iPhone soon.
    Sadly, I doubt the iPod Touch will be of much use to me once I get the iPhone. Whereas one can easily use the old hard disk iPods as portable hard drives very effectively, the iPod Touch can't really do this well. There are some file storage apps, which I am sure you can find on the App Store, which let you transfer most file types over Wi-Fi. This way you can perhaps use it for files you wouldn't store in your iPhone. You can also view the files, which might be useful.
    But other than that, I can't really think of any uses, which is why I think I'm going to try and sell mine. You should probably be able to get >$100 for it; they're certainly selling for prices well over that on ebay...

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can get 3.1.3 for free. It's against forum rules for the link to be posted here. But Google around you might find it. I mounted my old Touch on my wall and it's now used by my family as a calendar and notes station that syncs with Google and our other devices. And because it's plugged in 24/7 it gets a lot of neat push notifications for things, like weather alerts and breaking news.

4. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I thought about doing that, but it's only 8GB (man, that used to be a lot back in the day).

5. gheat93 macrumors member

Hehe, it's crazy right? I'm still a teenager but I recall 512MB memory sticks back in the day... I vaguely remember floppy disks; they must have been fun to use :)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Floppies where a blast to use. Especially if you left them near the screen for a week. And the bzzzzzt, bzzzzt noise when accessing them, it was like music.

Note: This post is purely sarcastic.

7. MRiOS macrumors regular

Hehe, I think I've still got a couple 32MB RAM sticks floating around downstairs somewhere, now that was a long time ago... (Ah the good ol' 486 chips, good memories)
    An excellent use of an old iPod is to donate it to a younger person to play with or possibly someone else who could use it for organizing shopping lists, quick notes, or just use the calendar feature. those are still darn useful apps and they will continue to be useful for a while.

8. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

But do you remember floppy disks that were actually floppy?

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do, I even remember the 8 inch ultra-floppies.

10. Aero26 macrumors regular

I remember when I cracked open my 1G and I entered the APp Store and...half the apps weren't available to me. That was like the update to 3.00 or whatever. (3.12 was free right?) As somebody above said, you can get it somewhere on the net for free. (I no wants moar infractions :rolleyes:) And I know you can get upwards of $100 for it on the 'bay.

11. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

My first computer had 4K (you read that right. 4K!) of memory. It had a cassette recorder for storage. It was basically good for learning BASIC on, but not much else. My second computer had 64K, and my third had 768K. I still have that one in storage. It had a 286 running at 8MHz, 768K of memory, 720K low density 3.5" FDD, 360K low density 5.25" FDD, and a 20MB Hard Disk Drive. Those were the days!

As for the Touch, just upgrade it to 3.1.3! It runs it fine, and can run most apps in the app store without difficulty. I use my 32GB 1st Gen Touch when I'm trying to go to sleep. I usually play Jumbline or something like that. It also checks mail, checks the weather, plays videos, youtube, etc. Mine has no scratches, though. I've had it in a case since new:

[​IMG]

12. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I know it runs 3.1.3 fine, I just won't want to spend the money for the upgrade on something I never use anymore.

13. bluez3 macrumors member

do you have an apple tv? mine is relegated to permanent remote duty at home with the remote app.

14. gheat93 macrumors member

Haha, no I don't. We only had the ones with the hard plastic case, with a metal part that slid back to reveal the disk itself. I think we've still got a bunch in the garage.:)

Incredible! That photo definitely emphasises the importance of cases. I wish mine was in such good condition; that way, it could at least partly help fund my new iPhone 4...

But w.r.t. OP, I guess having the iPhone makes the iPod Touch somewhat worthless. The only other use that came to mind is potentially using it when overseas to prevent roaming charges and to reduce the possibility of losing the iPhone... I did initially use my older iPod on my commute for fear of losing my iPod Touch to some mugger back when they were all the rage....

15. DeeGee48 macrumors regular

DeeGee48

Make It Your Universal Remote Control !!

OR, you could download the free L5 remote app and buy the infrared module for 50 bucks and use it as your new universal remote control at home for virtually everything! Put other info-type/household apps on it too. A great use I'd say!

http://www.l5remote.com/

16. cristeto1981 macrumors newbie

I also have the 8g ipod touch. This is a great thread. I was thinking of trading it for something else but messing around with it sounds more fun. :)

17. ChrisGonzales90 macrumors 6502a

ChrisGonzales90

I'm giving my 2ed gen 32GB to a family member. I'm updating it to 4.0 though.

if you do sell it. make sure its wiped clean and the physical appearance is clean and if you can throw in a new pair of ear phones and perhaps a $15 iTunes gift card. Make the purchase worthwhile for the new guy. You may get more money if you throw in a few extras.

18. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I still have a 16gb 1G iPod Touch. I basically keep it in the car with a few movies stored on it for long road trips. (I put it in my car mount and let my GF watch a few movies while I'm driving.)

Aside from that use, I tend to keep it in my iHome. It's great to keep my music collection right there. It's much nicer and cleaner than the old 30gb iPod video.

19. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

No, but I do have a Tivo and the Tivo remote app. I forgot about using it solely as my remote, thanks!

20. Aero26 macrumors regular

My god! :eek:

I've never seen a 1G in such great condition in my life.

21. askduds macrumors newbie

The name refers to the disc, not the casing. 3.5" disks are still floppy, crack one open sometime.

22. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

That looks totally awesome! Mine's all scuffed up at the back and scratched at the front! Nice job at keeping it this way!

23. Padraic macrumors regular

Are you sure you would need to pay for it? As far as I know, if you have an iPhone you already have the update and it should upgrade. :confused:

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The firmware is different for the two devices. There is no way to make the iPod Touch use the iPhone firmware.

25. MattA macrumors 6502

MattA

Thanks for the kind words! I've sworn by Agent18 cases for this reason. They seem to work really well and are quite durable. The only one i've really had problems with is the clearshield for the iPhone. It allowed too much grime in which can cause scratching. I switched to the ecoshield with much better results.

I still use my 32GB touch for watching movies/surfing/gaming in bed at night. It still works perfectly!