Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
I will just use it to draw plans of projects I'm going to build. I've have Canvas 7.0 and was thinking of more of 3D software. Any suggestions? I want to keep it around 200 bucks.

Thanks!

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Im a student of architecture and this is what i recommend:

Google Sketchup - For easy 3D modeling with less realism (free version is available!) Can show dimensions

Vectorworks - For accurate 2D plans and 3D modeling, but more complex, a degree of realism. Can also show dimensions

3D Studio Max - For the most realistic 3D modeling, more like Final Cut compaired to iMovie (Sketchup). Can do anything, they made shrek on it but it can be very complicated.

I use vectorworks, but plan on learning 3D Studio Max. I have attached a render I made, I know its not brilliant but it helped me pass the year!

Attachments

• Auditorium 1.jpg
    Auditorium 1.jpg
    816.2 KB · Views: 132

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I will just use it to draw plans of projects I'm going to build. I've have Canvas 7.0 and was thinking of more of 3D software. Any suggestions? I want to keep it around 200 bucks.

Thanks!
If you are using Canvas 7, then you are also using MacOS 9 or Classic. Your CAD app is not the only thing that you will have to change. That said, everything you need to know about CAD/CAE/CAM on the Mac can be found at Architosh.com.

Bigtree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
joshysquashy,
That's beautiful work! How much time did that take???
I really need a program that's based on mechanical drawing. Some thing a machinist would use. Thanks! I will look at the others.

MisterMe,
I was using Canvas 7 on windows YuK!!!! It aways worked better on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.