Suggestions for a 4 year old MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seand, Jun 15, 2011.

1. seand macrumors member

I have a mid 2007 (Santa Rosa) 15" MacBook Pro (high end at the time, 2.4Ghz/4GB RAM/120GB 7200RPM HD). I half replaced it with a work laptop, and today finally replaced it completely with a new iMac at home. It's still quite usable, but not super quick.

The MBP works except that for some reason it won't run on battery. The battery was replaced once already under AppleCare, but I never figured out the root cause, and now it shuts down instantly without AC power. The logic board was replaced a couple months ago by Apple after the NVIDIA graphics card died. There are also a couple small white splotches on the screen that I should have complained about while the laptop was under AppleCare, but too late now.

I don't particularly need the money, but I don't need it as a laptop so I'd be happy to sell it, but since the battery is broken I imagine I couldn't get much for it.

My current plan is to ignore the attached screen and use it as an HTPC, but I'm curious if anyone has a more creative idea.

2. Heavertron macrumors regular

Run it as a low profile, low power consumption server. Connect a FW / USB disk to it and let it serve files. Run a UPNP streamer on it to serve media?