Suggestions for a 4bay USB3 & eSATA enclosure?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Loa, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I'm looking for a 4 bay enclosure that would serve both my 2015 macbook pro (so USB3), and my 2009 MP that doesn't have a USB3 card but has an eSATA one.

Any suggestions? It doesn't have to be top of the line, just a decent price/quality machine.

Thanks.

2. mdindestin macrumors member

It's a 5 bay, but seriously considering this one to run a Raid 5: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1OQ5B5VHVHCUX

This one has better reviews than the ones I checked out.

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i have the mobius 5 bay and its awesome

4. LorenK macrumors 6502

Have you checked out NewEgg? I've used Vantec and Rosewill cases and they've both burned out the power supply. I've looked at the IcyDock, and I am intrigued because the design seems to suggest better drive cooling than what I've experienced. Can anyone chime in with their experience?

5. cw48494 macrumors regular

cw48494

Anything by Icydock is amazing.

6. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've resisted buying from Icy dock because of their PITA tray solution. I use one of the bays for rotating my external back-ups. I have about 8 drives that are stored elsewhere. I don't want to buy 8 extra trays...

Mobius 5 seems good, but expensive...

I've been using the very cheap Rosewill eSATA-only boxes for years without issues, but now that I also need USB3, I would have liked to get something better. Their USB3 + eSATA are 100$ cheaper than the Icydock, even more off the price of a mobius.

Is there any reason why their USB3 + eSATA boxes would be less good / reliable than their eSATA-only boxes?

7. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Another thing to consider is whether your eSATA card in your Mac Pro supports port multiplier, so it can drive multiple drives in an eSATA enclosure.

8. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

Yes, it does right now. I'm using a 4 bay eSATA enclosure. Two actually. But my new MacBook Pro should be here by Friday, and it doesn't have eSATA, so I'm looking for a USB3 +eSATA enclosure.

9. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

10. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

I saw those as well. Can you tell me what the mechanism is to get drives in and out?

The only thing I hate about the Rosewill boxes is that you have to remove the entire top (including sides) to screw the drives in. In the end, I leave it always off, but that means that the cooling is less efficient...

Loa

11. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

It's real simple, you open the door with a push, pull out a holding plate that's secured without screws, then you can pull each drive out.

12. Loa thread starter macrumors 65816

Loa

I think that settles it! Thanks!