Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I would post the link of the current page, but it requires a password. Their current layout is confusing - you can't tell where you are or even figure out how you got there.

Unless any of you have any ideas of how to incorporate a 5-6 level deep infrastructure in an intuitive menu, I think the number of levels has to be reduced to 3.

So my question would be what sort of menu would you suggest for a 3-level-deep menu system? Static Apple.com style? Tabbed MacRumors.com style? Some javascript slide-out menu? Also, any suggestions for additional layers, if condensing it to 3 isn't feasible?

desenso

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2005
Seriously... that sounds awfully complicated... how can you possibly navigate a 5-deep menu?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Break the site navigation up into major areas based on how the customers will be using it. Its rare that a site is totally horizontal, that is, that each sub page has to be directly accessible from each other sub page.

Look at Apple: Apple (products) - Store - iPod/iTunes - dot Mac - Quicktime - Support - OS

Everything fits under these silos of interest.

Moving menus are always a problem, whether they slide or expand or whatever. They won't work on some browsers, size/readability/description are always at odds, and even when they do, it requires hand-eye coordination to 'fly' the mouse to the desired submenu without dropping it or accidentally activating something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.