Suggestions for a Javascript beginners guide book?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mwilloam, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mwilloam macrumors newbie

I'm a graphic designer primarily who can build nice looking static websites with HTML and CSS. Wanting to add a little more interaction I've been toying with Jquery for some basic animation/slideshow effects but am having difficulty understanding what I'm doing and what it means, even though often I can get it to work via copy/paste. What I would like is a book that explains Javascript from the beginning, very clearly, syntax especially. Every tutorial I find on line seems to expect the reader to know what DOM/Function/yada yada etc ... means, and I don't, so definitely looking to start with the absolute basics. Once I can grasp the basics of JS I'll be more comfortable using JQuery. Any suggestions?

2. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

W3 Schools is a great place to start. You need to understand OOP, structures, and how the elements (DOM) are used with AJAX. http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

Once you understand that stuff, understanding the jquery methods are a ton easier. This is how I started.

3. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Hello,

I havn't read this book yet, but it's on my desk to do! But i have read the HTML one, and it was very usefull and i refer back to it, time and time again.

I'm sure you can find an eBook copy of it online:)

Dummies guide to Java and XML

They have a few versions for Java, so make sure you pick the right one for you!:)

4. mwilloam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Java being different than Javascript this might be the one to use:

http://www.dummies.com/store/product/JavaScript-and-AJAX-For-Dummies.productCd-0470417994.html

Ideally I'm looking for guide that uses tons of real world examples.

5. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06