suggestions for a macbook air 2015 refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bubbas, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bubbas macrumors newbie

For the MBA, I would like to suggest a Retina display(with a HDMI or thunderbolt 2 output), and the option to choose to add-on a graphics card to the MBA when buying it(nvidia 2gb is enough) seeing it as being very common around students, and thinking that a option to choose a graphics card for the MBA, might entice e.g. engineering or designer(graphic design) students to buy the it.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

there won't be an add-on graphics card for the air or for the 13" rMBP - there is no room and it would generate too much heat.

A retina air might be coming, but rumors talk about a 12" retina..

If you need higher graphics buy a rMBP with 15" screen.

3. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

If they want that then Apple has the MacBook Pro range.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Apple is not going to put a dedicated graphics card in the MacBook Air. It removed the dedicated graphics card from the lower-end 15-inch Pro, it definitely won't add one to the Air. Forget about it.

5. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Dedicated graphics cards on consumer laptops are so 2009.. Apple has largely removed them from everything but the higher end rMBP 15" and even there, I expect them to be gone within the next couple of years.

I would however like Apple to push the lightness of the MBA further. Apple has a singleminded focus on making every iOS device thinner and lighter every generation. However that focus does not seem to have percolated on the Mac side of things. It would be great if they gave themselves a target like less-than-1-lb MBA 11" as a way to kick start the trend.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

There are a number of PC laptops that are lighter than the 11" MBA. I've handled some in person (at least a couple Sony and Toshiba models anyway) and they seemed hopelessly flimsy to me. It was very easy for me to torque the screens. I'm sure I could have broken them without much effort at all. I'm happy to settle for a laptop that weighs a fraction of a pound more if that means it feels more solid.

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Well that's the fear with every iDevice - that it may break or feel flimsy. Heck, every iPhone since the 5 have people breaking out of the woodwork at launch with a "bend gate" claim. But Apple has shown all claims as unfounded. You are right that making something so thin and light may tend to some compromises on stiffness, but as the PC's you pointed out show, Apple is not riding that cliff edge anyways. And what's a challenge if there isn't a risk involved? Apple should challenge and push their engineers and have high expectations.

8. tresmith macrumors 6502

I was in the market for a mba before I setteled for a rmbp 2013. settled on the rmbp because it was the best value and most future proof of the two models.

what I'd like to see in the next mba is a retina screen while maintaining the same battery life. this seems like a definite.

i'd also like to see edge to edge glass for the display. that razed gray bezel isn't very elegant and not apple like.

a deeper sd card slot. when using the sd slot a good portion of the card sticks out. all my other windows laptops have nice deep, spring-loaded slots that have the cards sitting flush with the side of the laptop.

i'd like to see touch id make it onto the laptops allowing for quick keyless login and quicker, more secure online shopping.

lastly with cellular data getting cheaper and faster, I'd like to see built in cellular chip for direct access to internet without having to go through a hotspot or trusting free wifi. basically have a sim tray on the side, so you can pop in a sim and whenever you're on the road, have internet as soon as you open your laptop.

9. Serban, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014

Serban Suspended

12" with hipi a little lighter than current 11" and a little thinner as well
    no mechanical trackpad..new iGPU from intel broadwell
    the launch along side apple watch
    i5 1.6 ghz dual -core as standard

10. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I would be expecting the 12 inch model, and the resulting discontinuation of the other 2 models.