Suggestions for a mouse and keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by trellaine, Aug 12, 2019.

1. trellaine macrumors regular

trellaine

I have a mid 2011 iMac, Bluetooth 2.0. I’m finding it difficult finding a compatible mouse and keyboard (illuminated). I’m running Sierra 10.14

I’m not interested in the expensive Mac mouse and KB.

Looking to move on from theses. I tried Satechi M1 but the Mac doesn’t recognize it. Says it needs to be ios10.4 and higher.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

For a keyboard, I suggest a WIRED one. They just work better.

For a mouse, I suggest Logitech. Use their "unifying receiver" for wireless mousing. Much better than bluetooth.

3. trellaine thread starter macrumors regular

trellaine

Thanks! I ended up with Logitech 720 I think. Still looking for a new keyboard.

4. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

I'm a big fan of mechanical keyboards for the feel. Even if they're a bit noisier compared with the standard membrane-based keyboards, it makes typing feel like a lot less effort. It's not something you would feel by pressing the key once or twice; I remember typing for an hour or so, wondering if it was really any different other than the sound, and then going back to my Apple keyboard. The Apple keyboard felt like a lot of effort to type on.

It also works out that many LED-lit keyboards are mechanical. While most are marketed as being for Windows, some companies offer their keyboards with Mac key layouts. Das Keyboards are my favored, overall - nice build quality. I don't like the feel of their 5Q backlit keyboard, though; their 4Q uses better mechanical switches (in my opinion) but for what ever reason their website says it's only compatible with Windows and Linux at this point. I'd be surprised if you couldn't use it with a Mac.

The Ducky Shine series is another set of mechanical keyboards with backlighting. I can recommend this forum post as a possible lead into other mechanical keyboard options for Macs.