Suggestions for a NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CDutch, Aug 26, 2010.

1. CDutch macrumors regular

I've dug around MRoogle searching around for some sort of consensus on a NAS to connect to my AEBS. From what I've found, there are only a couple options that will play nice with Time Machine...problem is, I haven't been able to figure out which options they are.

I plan to partition the drive for Time Machine backups and for housing my iTunes library (I know I can't backup my iTunes library with TM on the same drive - it's also saved on an old iPod video so I'm OK for now). Can anyone speak to a particular brand?

Or should I just get a USB/Firewire drive and be done with it? I won't be doing a ton of heavy lifting with it. I don't mind spending a little more if a NAS adds some nice functionality though.

2. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I'm fond of the ReadyNAS units (owned by Netgear). There are a variety of models, all of which have a host of features including built-in Time Machine support, which makes setting up the NAS as a TM target for all your Macs brainless. They also support AFP in addition to SMB/CIFS, so they work well in an all Mac setting as well as with a mixed PC/Mac environment. I've been using an older NV+ model for a couple of years, and it is now tasked exclusively as the TM backup device for the 5 Macs I have at home. It is stable and solid--I love it.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

4. CDutch thread starter macrumors regular

Are most NAS options that expensive? I'm trying to keep it under $200 if possible. I don't rally need expandable options or anything like that.

5. Peterjk macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's exactly my problem. Don't get me wrong. I love my ReadyNAS NV+ and the very cool X-raid function - but in the finder it turns up twice both "via" AFP and CIFS. I can't seem to find the place to turn the later (or the first) off?

6. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Dutch, I also use the ReadyNAS units. I think you'll find most NAS products are more expensive then a DAS unit.

What exactly do you need? Give us a list of features and the amount of storage space you're looking for and we might be able to help better.

Peter, you can turn off the "via AFP" display by simply disabling the Bonjour service through Frontview on the ReadyNAS. The CIFS one is trickier because even if you disable Bonjour the Samba server will keep advertising itself. There is a way to fix it but it involves SSHing into the box and using the command line. Directions here: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=35309

7. psxguru macrumors 6502a

8. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

Got some old puter parts around the house? Then have a look at FreeNAS, it supports Time machine and itunes.

http://freenas.org/

9. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I've been thinking about turning some old PCs into a FreeNAS box just for fun and non crucial storage. Have you built one, how is the Mac/AFP support?