Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Been using Quicken ever since I had a computer and it looks like if I install Mountain Lion, it will be the end of the road. On principle alone, I refuse to pay $15 for 2007 Quicken to run on Lion/ML.

Any suggestions with experience in the software would be appreciated.

sgjohnston

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
I've been using iBank for a year and a half. Despite all the promises, it is unfortunately very frustrating. The basic problem is that the features are nowhere near Quicken (2010 for Windows, what I used before). The other issue are the bugs - with each new release, I hope that the various crashes and weirdnesses are fixed, and sometimes they are, but then so many new issues arise. One caveat, the bulk of my use and frustration with iBank is with investments, if you are more interested in cashflow type of transactions, it might be better.

I feel that I send more time working round the issues with iBank, than actually being productive with it. Because of this, I've been seriously considering going back to Quicken, in a VM on Fusion. Obviously I would hate to have to do that though! I keep holding off, in case Intuit actually come out with a proper version of Quicken for the Mac, but I can't say I have much confidence in this ever happening.

So, all in all, I wouldn't recommend iBank...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have been pretty happy with iBank, and I have looked at other apps A LOT. I don't use any of the investment features, so can't comment on SG's issues.

It syncs online with both my banks and gets the job done for me.

Freestar007

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2007
I haven't posted on MR in forever but this got me excited. I whole-heartedly recommend YNAB (You Need A Budget). A little bit of a mindset change may be required as it's more than just documenting what you've spent, but it's really helped my family get our spending under control. They have a 45 day trial I think. They recently added the feature of syncing all computers/smartphones using Dropbox, which works really well.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I had to move to Quicken Essentials when I installed Lion. I've gotten used to it. Are you saying that it no longer works with Mountain Lion? I haven't upgraded to ML yet.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
I had to move to Quicken Essentials when I installed Lion. I've gotten used to it. Are you saying that it no longer works with Mountain Lion? I haven't upgraded to ML yet.
No, I was talking Quicken 2007 which was the version before Essentials. I really don't know if Essentials is compatible or not. You might want to check their website.

obafgkm

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2006
I had been using Quicken since 1995, upgrading ultimately to Quicken 2006 (maybe I bought one version in between).

I stayed with Quicken 2006 for years, and I tried iBank when I bought a Lion laptop, but got frustrated with iBank (I continued to use Quicken 2006 on my Snow Leopard iMac). So when Quicken 2007 for Lion came out, I paid the $15 and have been happy with it.

If you truly feel that you need the latest and greatest software, get something else, but for me, Quicken 2007 works, it has the bells and whistles I need, and that is enough for me. $15 is a small price to pay for what I think is pretty good software that gets the job done.

spaziobds

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Try Money (Jumsoft) was a good substitution for MsMoney a few years ago, use it almost on a daily basis

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like iBank for being feature rich, and Moneywiz for is simplicity, and UI. Its missing a few features I rely on so for now I'm sticking with iBank.

The problem with Moneywiz for me is when I import a file from my bank, it treats each transaction as a new payee, that is if last week I got gas at mobile, the transaction would be mobile xrefxxxxxxx and today's would be mobile xrefyyyy so it would treat it as new. Makes assigning categories and tracking a bit harder.

etsi

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2011
I will enter data manually because my bank export file format sucks. I'm between moneywiz, ibank and maybe money.

I already have moneywiz for iphone (I got it free) but no demo to try it for mac.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Been using Quicken ever since I had a computer and it looks like if I install Mountain Lion, it will be the end of the road. On principle alone, I refuse to pay $15 for 2007 Quicken to run on Lion/ML.

Any suggestions with experience in the software would be appreciated.

I don't get it. If it's an app that you use. The app is essentially now close to 6 years old and in order to get it to work with the current technology (OS) it's not worth $15 to have it upgraded to work so that you can continue to use it.

If I use an app on an everyday basis, and have come to rely on said app over a number of years, $15 is a small price to pay in order to be able to continue using said app.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
Look at PocketMoney

I used Quicken 99 on my PC desktops and Pocket Quicken on my PDA for many years. When I bought an IPod 2 years ago I needed to move on and after trying a number of possibilities I settled on PocketMoney. Then when I made the move to a MBP last month I installed the Mac version of the desktop software and it's been working beautifully under Mountain Lion. You can import a QIF file from Quicken into a trial version and see for yourself. The 30 day trial is available from Catamount.com although you can buy the app from Catamount or the mac app store. I just use the checkbook function so if you need more bells and whistles they might not all be there.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Was a Quicken user for years and years, back in the beginning
Using iBank now and it does what I need
Importing all my Quicken data was simple and worked, which was a plus

My needs are simple, so I can't comment on the investment/portfolio side

But I would recommend iBank and the mobile apps with it

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Most programs have a free trial, try them out and see which best meets your needs (including importing of data). For me, it was Moneydance.

ariel1956

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
does the iBank use the same checks from Intuit as Quicken?

Was a Quicken user for years and years, back in the beginning
Using iBank now and it does what I need
Importing all my Quicken data was simple and worked, which was a plus

My needs are simple, so I can't comment on the investment/portfolio side

But I would recommend iBank and the mobile apps with it

CHECKS: Does the iBank use the same Intuit checks as Quicken?

bwhinnen

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
McKinney
I trialled iBank and Moneydance, well my wife did as she is the one that does the finances and she chose Moneydance as the replacement for the old Aussie version of Quicken Personal Plus (Windows only).

She though iBank was a little too simplistic for what she wanted ... don't ask me I just do the I.T. support!

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Ive used Quicken 2011 on my PC. For the last year though, I have neglected using it, as I do online banking and been lazy reconciling anything.

I have a new Macbook Air, and thinking of getting an app for that (and not my windows desktop) and have been looking at Quicken Essentials. I get a lot of mixed reviews on the board here and app store on the app though.

Basically I want something that will help me deduct on my taxes (category break downs, ie atm fees, cable/cell phone, etc). Also need it to help with setting up a budget, and keeping track of my 401K info.

I am not a fan of mint.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.