Suggestions for a Trackball Mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .:Meh:., Jul 22, 2008.

1. .:Meh:. macrumors newbie

I've been trying to switch over to a trackball mouse again. Any suggestions on a really good one. It doesn't matter whether it's wired or wireless. Thanks.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

3. .:Meh:. thread starter macrumors newbie

Disregarding the previous post... I was thinking about the Kensington Expert Mouse. I think I read somewhere that there were some problems with the scroll ring? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

4. .:Meh:. thread starter macrumors newbie

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've been happily using the Wireless Mighty Mouse for about 6 months now.

6. ph03n1x macrumors member

So am I but he's looking for a trackball. The whole point is so that moving you're not moving your arm(?) so much but so it's reduced to just wrist and finger movements.

7. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I really like my Kensington Expert Mouse Trackball. The scroll ring is brilliant!

I had a bad bout of tendonitis from using a mouse, but since getting this trackball, I haven't felt a twinge.

[​IMG]

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I think what you really need to do is go to a store or two and try a few out to see what feels best to *you.* People can recommend anything they like but it may not be the right thing for your situation, your posture, your workstation etc. Using the wrong one can just end up making any problem worse....oh yeah!

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Even with my lack of experience on the subject, something which i will definitely say is with TRACKBALL MOUSES ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.. i cannot echoe duff-e's words strongly enough///

Just out of curiosity, no rudeness intended or sarcasm, but what is your need for a trackball? What can it do that a normal mouse can't?

10. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

normal mouse = pain in wrist = tension = RSI = disabled

trackball = less or NO pain, wrist muscles NOT used = healthier

THESE ARE FACTS.

11. portent macrumors 6502a

If you're planting your arm on your desk and cranking your wrist to move your mouse all the time then yes, that probably would hurt. If you move with your whole arm, then you won't have that problem.

If you find that beating your head against the wall gives you a headache, you can install a padded wall, or you can stop beating your head against it. Your choice.

12. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

its not practical to use arm all the time.....requires more desk space too.

trackball is not the same as padded wall example.
    trackball = no wrist movement = stop doing the things that hurts = your choice? yes it is.....trackball.

you dont know.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm considering a trackball for the same reasons as OP (that and I've had enough of the mighty mouse) and I'm wondering what all the hostility is about toward the trackball.

14. bob2131 macrumors 6502a

there is no hostility from those who know..
    people dont like change....so cant be bothered to get used to a ball.
    they laugh at me at work.....they say they cant use it..... kinda look down upon me....... but when they get pain......they will realise......trackball is better than normla mouse.

good for you. do your research......try them all out....... ball is not perfect....but def an improvement from normal mouse. i use normal mouse on left hand and trackball on right....at same time at work....at home...track pad and 2 diff trackballs....... im gonna get a tablet in the future.....as ball can start to stress the wrists overly too. certain things are easier to do with normal mouse in photoshop and stuff......